NorthShore_236

Inshore Cod 2021

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

With the 2 week cod season officially started is anyone here planning on heading out? I'll be trying to hit some local humps on the north shore this weekend  as long as the weather holds. Looking like 10-15 kt max...2-4 seas, little lumpy but not too bad. 

Wondering if the haddock is still in the 180-200. Like a 30 minute boat ride from Lynn. Cod mix in but never see anything larger. 

I have been keeping half an eye on the party boat reports. Nobody is talking about full-boat limits on the 1p/p cod, pool fish are the usual sad 7lb cusk or whatever, with one exception of a 20lb cod one day. If you can't get a half dozen cod in the teens pretty regularly, the population is still wrecked.

4 mins ago, NHAngler said:

Cusk should be labeled with nutritional value chart: 2% blood, 13% bones, 25% meat, and 60% parasites. 

Extra crunchy fillets, what's not to like?

11 mins ago, NHAngler said:

Cusk should be labeled with nutritional value chart: 2% blood, 13% bones, 25% meat, and 60% parasites. 

They aren't bad if they are fresh. They get mushy after frozen.

9 hours ago, NHAngler said:

I’ll be out. Good luck.

I may pull the plug on the trip....3-4' seas from ESE, blowing 15-20kts from NW. Sounds like choppy 6 footers to me. No thanks.  

I should have went today....

I gave it a go this morning. Pretty much a nightmare out there on the north shore...20kt winds with 4-6' seas. A few swells cleared the height of my t-top when in the trough. 

Pulled up short of where I wanted to go and tried to fish some very inshore humps and ledges (60-80 ft range) with no luck....the drift was almost 2 kts making it hard to hold bottom. 

Laid down nice through once.inside the islands.back towards beverly for a consolation prize. 

5 hours ago, NorthShore_236 said:

I gave it a go this morning. Pretty much a nightmare out there on the north shore...20kt winds with 4-6' seas. A few swells cleared the height of my t-top when in the trough. 

Pulled up short of where I wanted to go and tried to fish some very inshore humps and ledges (60-80 ft range) with no luck....the drift was almost 2 kts making it hard to hold bottom. 

Laid down nice through once.inside the islands.back towards beverly for a consolation prize. 

Yeah I imagine the chop + swells today for small boaters were more "ohhhh crap" vs lumbar-deforming shocks when hitting spicy chop or swell at speed. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I went out Saturday and we each got our ONE cod. Thank you NOAA and MA for allowing us rec guys our 1 fish and 2 week window during a time often with bad weather. 

It was a little lumpy but to be honest, I would have gone offshore in that. Drift sock helped but did need to keep resetting to be on the fish. Fog would have made that run offshore out a bit more risk and effort with no radar.

Later, we found some playful stripers to keep the trip interesting though. Going out just for one cod, with most being rats, is not worth it and you almost feel bad for bothering them...

Next weekend we will be trying to go offshore. Inshore cod is kinda unreliable and not worth focusing on anymore. 

Edited by NHAngler