DAQ

Albies on glass

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Not one to set fishing goals but after catching my first trout and carp on fiberglass rods earlier in the year, I decided I wanted to try and catch some albies on a glass rod. The past few weeks have been frustrating with few opportunities to really try the glass, a 9wt ECHO BAG paired with my old Orvis DXR and an intermediate line. I was able to check the "Albies on glass" box the past two days. 

The conditions were pretty challenging  with wind, waves and some of the worst D-Bags I have seen, (you out there green flats boat?), but I was able to connect with some fish. Did better with other rods but the bright blue blank got bent.

glabie0914.jpeg

glalbie0913.jpeg

glalbie0914_1.jpeg

1 hour ago, numbskull said:

Well done.  Must be nice to fight them on glass.  Hard, however, to not rush your casting stroke I'd think.

It is really hard for me to slow down. I'm a terrible caster anyway, when I change anything it is worse.

I do not have a glass fly rod, but my two oldest are a 12/13 wt 2pc Fischer and a two piece 8wt Orvis, A long time ago, I divested myself of all the "hero cast" super stiff rods like the Redington Backwaters, in favor f a more moderate 1/3 to mid-flex blank.  When I practice, I try to rotate rods for each session, and ideally practice with two of them, so as to develop the ability to adjust my stroke speed automatically to suit each rod. 

Initially, I practice one-handed only, putting my hauling hand in my pocket, and holding the line tight to the grip with my left hand.  With this restriction, I first break down the cast into the front and backcast, allowing the line to fall to the ground at the end of each.  When I am happy with my loops, I continue this for a spell with my eyes closed, concentrating on feeling the rod load and unload.  The next phase is to combine the two halves of the cast, still one handed, repeat with closed eyes and then start to incorporate the haul. I learned this breakdown technique when Lefty Kreh did a demo at the Fly Hatch (now defunct for several years) in Shrewsbury, NJ on Rt. 35.  I would note that the majority of my fishing occurs between midnight and dawn, so most of the time while fishing, I can not see my loops, and must depend on feel of the rod when casting.  I also freely admit that my 2h casting needs a lot of work vis-a-vis developing a feel for the rod loading and unloading, so my loops can vary greatly between casts, especially when fear of hitting the rod with too tight a loop comes into psychological play.  I would really like to spend some time with an Ocean or Monmouth county based experienced 2H caster critiquing me with the 2H.  I was supposed to meet up with the owner of tight lines (I forget his name) very early in the year when he was passing thru on his return from Florida, but a storm put that idea to bed, and it is just too long of a drive for me anymore, what with the nerve damage in my legs.

Thanks for the advice flatwing. My casting is not only flawed do to technique, it is also doomed by bad shoulders. I'm sure I can improve with more time devoted to practice though.  

NICE!  Albie on anything is nice in my book.  I'm jealous.  Those are nice rods, I've watched a guy absolutely own some Great Lakes tribs with that rod, single hand spey and catch some nice steel.

Congratulations @DAQ! You got me into my first (and only landed) Albie 3 years ago and I was so close to you on this outing (one beach over), I should have called BEFORE our trip ;-).

Glad you found some and even better on glass.

On 9/16/2021 at 1:13 PM, DAQ said:

Thanks for the advice flatwing. My casting is not only flawed do to technique, it is also doomed by bad shoulders. I'm sure I can improve with more time devoted to practice though.  

I've considered this rod before and I'm curios is the glass any better on your shoulders? Did you notice any loss in fishability (casting, loops, etc.) as compared to other rods?

3 hours ago, mitchman said:

I've considered this rod before and I'm curios is the glass any better on your shoulders? Did you notice any loss in fishability (casting, loops, etc.) as compared to other rods?

Take this with a grain of salt due to limited data. In my opinion this glass rod is worse on the shoulders and wrist when casting. The rod is considerably heavier in the hand than my modern construction rods and the slower action seems to make me increase my casting motion instead of just slowing it down. I have said it many times here, I am a terrible caster. In the right hands I'm sure the rod is fine for bad joints... not for mine. I do find the rod easier on my wrist and middle back when fighting fish or after a day of fighting fish.

As for casting and loops, please see my comment on my casting ability (no sane person should judge this, or any, rods ability by my input). If I stick with the glass I adjust my stroke and can cast mildly well but it seems my loops are not as tight as usual and distance suffers. I also find that I try to over power the rod to compensate and issues are amplified. I need to teach myself to slow down more instead of powering up.   

I have two BAGs, a 7 and an 8.  The 7 has a DXR on it, as a matter of fact.  I am really enjoying fishing them.  The 8 is my go-to "'sight fishing" rod ( fishing to wakes mostly).  Inside 50-60 feet is it terrrific.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice one.

Just to help a tad. The slower the rod action the longer and smoother the rod stroke needs to be to keep the rod on a straight line path. Straight line path equals good loops.

Creep and too early application of acceleration at a high level will likely cause rod tip counter flex and cause tailing loops.

Size of casting arc and speed that the rod is moved is variable depending on how much line is being cast. Experience is our teacher.

Slow on its own is about as useful as 10 to 2 pm arc sizes. 
cheers

Mike.

Edited by Mike Oliver