flyrad10

Leader Formula For Crease Flies

Rate this topic

119 posts in this topic

When I cast crease flies, using 9 ft diy tapered leader from 40lb to 12lb tippet on an 8 wt rod throwing  a 8 wt 30 ft shooting head, the leader twists horribly. and end up twisting an curling around itself. Forget if you use diy twisted leaders. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? shorter leader, level leader, heavier tippet, , 50lb  swivel at the leader head junction or a different formula leader?

I just had the same experience, was waist deep surrounded by peanut bunker,  tried every fly I had and couldn’t get a take,  decided to try a bunker imitation crease fly, after about 10 casts my leader was so twisted up I had to cut it off.

I was using an 8wt rod,  intermediate line and a 9 foot straight shot of 20#  fluorocarbon.  I don’t fish crease flies much so I don’t know if this is common with them,  but I didn’t have any problems with the dozen or so flies I used that day.

Archie

If I recall going back a couple of decades, Joe Blados discussed this issue in the construction/design of his pattern.  He squared off the face so that the crease fly would not tend to twist during the cast or by the current.  I see lots of pictures of crease flies that look like they will twist before they hit the water.  My money is that it is not necessarily a leader problem.  Maybe it was Veverka’s book where I read that???

They generally twist/rotate during the cast. Trimming the head may help but ultimately gave up on them. They really weren’t better than other things that didn’t cause problems. 

Assuming part of the problem is the shooting head to mono join.  Try them on an intermediate line, preferably with a clear tip, and use a short (4ft max) length of a fairly stiff mono (with a direct tie, or very small kreh loop).  Suggest 20lb regular mono or 15lb hard mono.  Crease flies are wind resistant buggers.  12lb mono probably doesn't turn over properly and/or allows the loop to collapse.  A loop knot at the fly might allow the fly to pivot too much unless the loop is nice and small.  Can also leave part of the end of the mono loop knot inside the loop to stiffen it a bit and if if reduces the fly's action too much, then cut it back.

3 mins ago, PatchyFog said:

I use straight mono, usually #20, about 4'. #40 if big blues are involved.

You really don't need anything more than something like that.

40lbs to 12lbs is not ideal leader system especially for a wind resistant fly ..to prevent wind knots the loop has to unfurl 1st slow down your casting stroke.  

56 mins ago, thaistick said:

40lbs to 12lbs is not ideal leader system especially for a wind resistant fly ..to prevent wind knots the loop has to unfurl 1st slow down your casting stroke.  

In FW, I used to tie and use weight-forward aka convex or double-taper leaders alot . They help turn over flies in windy conditions or when using big bushy dries or streamers. Actually, it was my standard leader on the Delaware and other larger waters for many years. Then I got lazy and stopped tying my own leaders. Never tied them for SW, but I think they'd work really well in certain situations. But with poppers etc, I'm sticking with short and straight.

At global.  fly   fisher, there's a gazillion leader formulas, including spreadsheets you can download. Here's an example of a convex for trout, which appears to be one of A.J. McClane's formulas.

12" of 0.0130 (01X)

6" of 0.0150 (03X)

6" of 0.0170 (05X)

12" of 0.0190 (07X)

12" of 0.0170 (05X)

12" of 0.0150 (03X)

12" of 0.0130 (01X)

12" of 0.0110 (0X)

12" of 0.0090 (2X)

15" of 0.0060 (5X)

I can't post the link to globalflyfisher directly without the post getting pinked. Look for /leadercalc/categories

Please remember we don't allow commercial links here on SOL, never have. That's why your prior posts didn't show. Most folks here are smart enough to google. 

6 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Please remember we don't allow commercial links here on SOL, never have. That's why your prior posts didn't show. Most folks here are smart enough to google. 

Globalflyfisher is a commercial website? I wouldn't call it a competitor site either.

Thanks all for input. I didn’t tie 12 directly to 40 the leader was 36”-40lb

18”-30lb

10”-25lb

10”-20lb

24”-12lb

Cary they were rat blues I suspect because I got one first on this and then changed to a crease fly and got a few more hits but the fly may have been too big tied on a 2/0 long shanks hook.

image.jpg