Mdbasser

Joe Humphreys

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Another tubi documentary. "Live the Stream". Man is amazing. Time of video he is 86 yrs old. Out teaching 3 plus days a week. Life long passion. Or Long life passion.

Joe is Pennsylvania's greatest living fly-fisherman. He's already a hall of famer and one day, he'll add the National Fly Fishing Hall of Fame to his bio. I learned to cast from Joe's predesessor, George Harvey and also from Walt Dette of Roscoe, NY. 

George used to visit Roscoe to fish the Shad Fly hatch and he was the type to take pitty on a kid and give help. He thought the world of Joe and later in life, I had many dinners after fishing with George and he spoke very highly and fondly of Joe. 

If George Harvey liked Joe, then he must be a pretty special fellow. The truth is, most of what Joe knows about trout fishing is in some way thanks to George Harvey. Both were highly athletic guys with great ability to manipulate a fly line. Joe learned the finer points of leader design and casting from George, who was the type who would gladly share his knowledge with anyone who was curious or who had a question. 

Joe followed in those footsteps and he is a good son to Penn State University and to the sport of fly-fishing. - said with my upmost respect. 

One of the first fly fishing books I read when getting started many years ago was Joe Humphreys Trout Tactics. I learned a lot from that book. 

There are some great trout fishing pioneers from that region.

Vince Marinaro's In the Ring of the Rise was another book that was ahead of its time. I learned a ton from that book.

Joe Humphreys gave me my 1st casting lesson at the Summer Set   NJ show about 8 years ago . I still hear his instructions as I cast small streams today .

Before we started He said to me “ any questions ?”  My reply was “ are you sure you can get me to cast this fly rod “ ? He looked at me with his 1/2 smile 1/2 laugh and said “ Yep “