NEW TO ROD BUILDING NEED SOME ADVICE

Rate this topic

Treema

I'm looking to build my first rod that is going to be a 9' lami 50/50 but IDK where to start and what guides, reel seat, etc. and placement of each part has to be, and if there are any rules of thumbs to follow. I want to use the new concept layout for the guide placement. This is going to be a fast and simple build so I can use this rod on the jetties and light surf this fall. 

Thank you in advance 

Treema

It is always a good idea to keep it simple and build better than you can buy.  Since this is your first rod, you don't want to break the bank.  I like Fuji reel seats and guides as well as REC guides.  They aren't the cheapest but they are great quality.  Keep your wraps simple with just some small decorative tags, maybe.  You can always copy a rod that you like and change or improve the things you don't like about it.  Build your own custom cork handle out of cork rings, its the best part of custom rod building.  Check out this video on turning cork:

Take a look at Lou Caruso’s video on YouTube for the NCG layout. It will explain everything.

My advice would be not to build this fast. Take your time, test cast, make adjustments, test cast, test cast change repeat.

Take your time wrapping the guides until they are perfect. It’s too easy to rush it and say “good enough”.

In the end you will have a tool that will have great fish ability, good looks and many years of smilies.

If you don’t get it done for the fall, the spring run is only 4 months later.

It has been a while since I have logged in to this site.  I don't know the rules and regs, I hope I am not crushing anybodies feelers by taking part in this site.

I just wanted to branch out a bit from the other sites that I have monitored and posted on.  I guess if I am doing something wrong I will be set straight.  Until then I would like to be a part of the conversation and help anyone that will want it.

1 hour ago, LauncherFishing said:

It has been a while since I have logged in to this site.  I don't know the rules and regs, I hope I am not crushing anybodies feelers by taking part in this site.

I just wanted to branch out a bit from the other sites that I have monitored and posted on.  I guess if I am doing something wrong I will be set straight.  Until then I would like to be a part of the conversation and help anyone that will want it.

A while? Lordy. 4 posts since when? C'mon.

And like the prodcucts!

Not crushing my feelings, You can take part of course (i'm not a mod so... I could be called out myself)

If I call you out and say I can't ike REC (expensive wire) guides, can we still be cool?

Edited by ZAFisher

1 hour ago, LauncherFishing said:

Double post. Sorry

Edited by ZAFisher

16 hours ago, Treema said:

Should a choke guide be the same size as the running guides. Or can it be one size up?

I'm planning to use size 8 running and size 8 tip.

Edited by TimS
Please don’t send people to other sites when they ask a question here - thanks :-)

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever~Jacques Yves Cousteau

22 hours ago, Treema said:

Should a choke guide be the same size as the running guides. Or can it be one size up?

I'm planning to use size 8 running and size 8 tip.

Based ion your 1st post " 9' lami 50/50 but IDK where to start ..."

Which one?

108 2MH 1-4oz?

Reel?

For a starting point I'd suggest KW30 KL20 KL12 KT8. Your 1st KT8 would be your choke point.