iwantmypie

Catch and Release Practices

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

33 mins ago, bbfish said:

Cut both hooks off, dont cut the wire.  Attach a Gami 1/0 live bait hook on the back with a split ring.  Works very, very well.

Boom. There’s my Friday night project....

1 hour ago, DZ said:

Repercussions of a complete treble hook ban would be catastrophic for some in the plug building industry.  A much more reasonable  alternative  would be to limit the amount of hook points which is similar to what has been done in a few states.  

Exactly. Not even just the repercussions of smaller plug builders but could you imagine Pradco being required to stop selling lures with trebles? It would never happen.

Assuming plug builders/manufacturers wouldn’t be responsible for the change and the responsibility lay in the hands of the anglers—like they have to now with live bait and circle hooks. The majority of recreational anglers probably don’t have the proper resources to do so. Majority of them probably have been using the same plugs with the same rusty hooks forever—and there’s really nothing wrong with that. I think a lot of us here are the minority, the ones who like to change out hooks, keep em sharp and rust free. 

Using Walmart as an example (since again I’m assuming the majority of recreational anglers rely on them solely as their fishing tackle resource) does not sell any hooks besides bait hooks. You definitely won’t find split rings and you’re lucky if they occasionally sell split ring pliers. Even bigger retailers with more expansive fishing departments, (Bass Pro, Dicks, etc) have a poor selection, at best, of inline hooks and splits.

Biggest piece of this puzzle, if a treble ban were to ever happened, is who’s going to enforce it? MA DMF? When pigs fly.

1 hour ago, iwantmypie said:

Exactly. Not even just the repercussions of smaller plug builders but could you imagine Pradco being required to stop selling lures with trebles? It would never happen.

Assuming plug builders/manufacturers wouldn’t be responsible for the change and the responsibility lay in the hands of the anglers—like they have to now with live bait and circle hooks. The majority of recreational anglers probably don’t have the proper resources to do so. Majority of them probably have been using the same plugs with the same rusty hooks forever—and there’s really nothing wrong with that. I think a lot of us here are the minority, the ones who like to change out hooks, keep em sharp and rust free. 

Using Walmart as an example (since again I’m assuming the majority of recreational anglers rely on them solely as their fishing tackle resource) does not sell any hooks besides bait hooks. You definitely won’t find split rings and you’re lucky if they occasionally sell split ring pliers. Even bigger retailers with more expansive fishing departments, (Bass Pro, Dicks, etc) have a poor selection, at best, of inline hooks and splits.

Biggest piece of this puzzle, if a treble ban were to ever happened, is who’s going to enforce it? MA DMF? When pigs fly.

If people want to fish then they need to be responsible to follow whatever rules are in place. Anyone is capable of swapping out a treble hook. It’s not difficult and only takes a few minutes. No excuses. 

To each their own. I’m not going to tell or ask someone to fish a certain way nor am I going to let anyone tell me how I should fish or handle fish. I do as I please. If I can help it, I don’t grab under the gill plate but if I don’t have a safer way to do it, Ima do it. My safety over the fish’s safety. Plenty of them around. Only one of me

21 mins ago, z-man said:

If people want to fish then they need to be responsible to follow whatever rules are in place. Anyone is capable of swapping out a treble hook. It’s not difficult and only takes a few minutes. No excuses. 

Yep I agree  - leave it up to individual fishermen to make their own personal decisions.  I prefer to use trebles with barbs crushed. Some prefer to use singles and I’m fine with that.  

21 mins ago, z-man said:

Sure everyone is capable of it but where is everyone buying them from? As stated, inline hooks aren’t exactly easy to come by. Lots of local B&Ts hardly ever have them in stock either. They’re not exactly a common commodity. 

7 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

Sure everyone is capable of it but where is everyone buying them from? As stated, inline hooks aren’t exactly easy to come by. Lots of local B&Ts hardly ever have them in stock either. They’re not exactly a common commodity. 

If people can’t figure out where to buy a pack of hooks then they have bigger problems in life than fishing. You can get them from Amazon, Bass Pro, eBay or countless other places and have shipped up your door in days. 

12 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

Saltwater edge in RI carries 1/0 up to 7/0 VMC 4X hooks and always seem have them in stock. They will ship to you as easy or easier than any other retailer. Last year I swapped all of my schoolie lures out for crushed barb singles for probably 20 bucks. Makes me feel better and it seems to be easier on the fish.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:02 AM, Danthe said:

If anglers don’t lead the way with conservation, special interest groups and Uncle Sam will. 

Anglers ARE a spoecial interest group...

Nonetheless, I agree with your sentiment.

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

On 9/17/2021 at 9:02 AM, Danthe said:

If anglers don’t lead the way with conservation, special interest groups and Uncle Sam will. 

Anglers ARE a spoecial interest group...

Nonetheless, I agree with your sentiment.

Good point. I can say I’m not a fan of Trojan horse groups such as  “Backcountry Hunters and Anglers” and the “let’s preserve this for ourselves” mentality. 

Slippery slope indeed.