Jay_paternostro

Anyone ever try albie? I've heard mixed reviews...

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

The red meat is pretty good even as sashimi, but the dark muscle tastes like iron, probably from the high myoglobin level. Of course there's a large proportion of that, which is what makes them such powerful swimmers. Need to bleed & brain spike them pronto and keep them on ice or they are no good.

8 hours ago, Seakarp said:

Some of the best sushi is marinaded albie served with a lemon slice. I haven't had it it any years, but used to get it in LA.

I'm guessing you were eating "true" albacore (Thunnus alalunga).  What people are referring to here as "albie" is False Albacore, also known as Little Tunny (Euthynnus alletteratus), which is a completely different fish.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:03 AM, Seakarp said:

Some of the best sushi is marinaded albie served with a lemon slice. I haven't had it it any years, but used to get it in LA.

Albie is an atlantic fish so I would bet you were eating something else.

On 9/14/2021 at 10:09 PM, Jay_paternostro said:

Please let me know your best method for the best taste, heard so many mixed reviews about eating albies

Here we go again!

Eat them? Prepare them? So many many negative posts regarding whether we really want to eat them as the taste is so bitter?

Albies?   Catch and release!

So you can enjoy fishing for them in future seasons. That's just as it is. We don't need to eat albies!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, BobBass said:

SO many fishermen think false albacore are bonito. They are not. They are not sushi for your dinner table!

They're a game fish to be released, period. You don't want to eat them. Enjoy the fight/catch and release them.

Bonito is good for sushi. Albies, aka false albacore, unless you're a fisherman in Florida, where they're called  bonita? They don't know the difference, I guess. Some fishermen we know actually try to grill their albies, aka, bonita, and say they were delicious. My bet is they caught an actual bonito?

4 mins ago, flysully said:

SO many fishermen think false albacore are bonito. They are not. They are not sushi for your dinner table!

They're a game fish to be released, period. You don't want to eat them. Enjoy the fight/catch and release them.

Bonito is good for sushi. Albies, aka false albacore, unless you're a fisherman in Florida, where they're called  bonita? They don't know the difference, I guess. Some fishermen we know actually try to grill their albies, aka, bonita, and say they were delicious. My bet is they caught an actual bonito?

Some people never tasted fresh fish in their lives and if they actually ate an albie it might have this exotic flavor to them. 
for example my brother in law in florida was super excited to bring fish back from his once a year fishing “attempt”. He didn’t catch anything but a jack crevalle. It was full of worms, blood and bloodline but he ate it anyway and thought it was amazing. Most of the fish he eats usually was frozen 90 times or from McDonalds 

2 hours ago, BobBass said:

Ya, the sushi was marinated albacore, which is awesome. I, however was responding after "relaxing," after dinner and read too fast. The albie I would not eat.