dannyplug1

FORMULA FOR JOHN SKINNER MONTAUK EEL ROD

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Bad day today.  Out on my buddies boat.  See some fish breaking, quick cast.   Snap my John skinner montauk eel rod is toast.  Does any out there have a formula or a recipe for that rod.  Another question.  The original blank I had made was  a cut down blank.  Now lami glass makes a blank they call a JS (I don’t know the number) is it the same blank as the one I had CMS cut back and make many years ago?  Thanks Charlie.  

So just another option. I was after something similar, so I took the same 1201L blank used for the skinner rod, cut 11 inches off the butt,  but instead of wrapping it with the old school guide layout, i used a modern guide layout. All I can say is wow. the modern guides makes the rod recover faster on the cast and makes it just a bit more responsive. That may be an option worth looking into

On 9/16/2021 at 8:16 PM, tpoliti said:

I saved the article way back when.  I actually built the rod 15-20 years ago, ended up giving it away since it sat in the rack unused for the past 10 years.  It was a fun rod to fish.

The Montauk Eel Rod.pdf

Thanks for sharing, that was a fun read.

I built mine with bmnag double foot guides 30,20,12 and 5 #10 runners using the modified concept layout. Lou has a good video on the net. Couldn't be happier. VS150,200 and slammer 4500 all cast excellent.

A 9’ rod on a boat is asking for trouble.

The Skinner rod or Montauk eel rod is an old school tool.

4 guides + the tip really doesn’t use this blank to it’s potential.

As stated above a modern layout on a cut to 9’ blank is a much better tool.

Still like my 1201l’s to be 10’.

10 hours ago, GoneCoastal said:

I built mine with bmnag double foot guides 30,20,12 and 5 #10 runners using the modified concept layout. Lou has a good video on the net. Couldn't be happier. VS150,200 and slammer 4500 all cast excellent.

If you don’t mind me asking, what reel did you build it for? The 200

actually the layout was for a vsb 150 I stupidly no longer own. But a vsb150 and 200 are pretty close besides from the spool diameter. And I just checked it's 30,20, 16 then 10's.