Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BG_NJ

1,400 dolphins killed in one day

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

“The practice of dolphin hunting in the Faroe Islands has come under scrutiny after more than 1,400 of the mammals were killed in what was believed to be a record catch.

The pod of white-sided dolphins was driven into the largest fjord in the North Atlantic territory on Sunday.

Boats herded them into shallow waters at Skalabotnur beach in Eysturoy, where they were killed with knives.

The carcases were pulled ashore and distributed to locals for consumption.”

A151E4F6-BAAC-4488-B3D8-E117BEF28A4E.jpeg

1 min ago, JoeyZac said:

Send in Paul Watson!

Haha I remember him getting harpooned on Southpark. Great episode lol 

The only issues I see are: is this sustainable, which it seems like it is, and the more important one - how "smart" these dolphins are. If they are as conscious as apes or elephants - we should probably try to stay away from killing them for fun/food.

I’m no peta whacko, I do eat meat everyday probably, but the whole whale/dolphin killing is kinda sick, and outdated. The Japanese do this like what every year? I’ve mistakenly years ago seen video of it. It’s horrific.

The natives and Eskimo’s who harvest a limited amount of these mammals to feed their villages, I’m alright with, nothing is wasted. But these mass slaughters by the Japanese is gruesome.

IF this is a sustainable practice, I don't really have a problem with it. Just because we don't kill/eat them in our culture doesn't mean we should condemn others who do. Hell, pigs are also super intelligent. I don't think twice when I order my B.E.C.

Reminds me of whales. Other countries and cultures are vilified for hunting them for food, but we seem to forget that we hunted them (some to near extinction) all over the globe for their oil not too long ago. 

That being said, 1,400 is an absurd number. 

Like someone else mentioned, I'm no peta cry baby and my political views are as red as the grass fed steak I regularly enjoy.  With that said, in an age of growing knowledge, technology and understanding for their intelligence I cant help but look upon these acts and the people who take part in them as barbarians and an example of the human scourge this planet has been infected with.  Except the eskimos....their cool.

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

They are.  I wonder what their meat tastes like. 

never had it to my knowledge but some commercial fishing guys i know said if you've had tuna in a can 

you've almost certainly had porpoise .. 

1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

Not to play devil’s advocate but I bet some of you condemning this would be thrilled with a mass seal kill.

I was thinking the same thing! I was lucky enough to get some tears in on the cape before the seal issue. They are simply ignoring a problem that is getting worse year after year. Can’t imagine what they are thinking.

I watched a video previously about these communities killing whales, they claimed that it was entirely sustainable and a tradition for their culture and if that is the case I have no problems with it.  That being said I think eating marine mammals isn't a great idea, they accumulate too much mercury.