Tutti Frutti Flies - Pink over Chartreuse or Opposite?

Rate this topic

pjgreek

I spoke to a few Stripers yesterday and they said they liked the darker color on the top, because it represents the Dorsal line of the baitfish. Which color is darker, Pink or Chartreuse?

Well, to make Pink, we use a base of red and mix white into it. With Chatreuse, we use Green and Yellow. Therefore, technically, the color with some white on it would be better used on the bottom of the fly, where we'd be more apt to find some belly like shades of white. 

61425ec3a6964_Screenshot2021-09-154_59_22PM.png.587e1ca99ced8699fce08a4070479525.png

Edited by CaryGreene

11 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

I spoke to a few Stripers yesterday and they said they liked the darker color on the top, because it represents the Dorsal line of the baitfish. Which color is darker, Pink or Chartreuse?

Well, to make Pink, we use a base of red and mix white into it. With Chatreuse, we use Green and Yellow. Therefore, technically, the color with some white on it would be better used on the bottom of the fly, where we'd be more apt to find some belly like shades of white. 

Of course, if the darker color were on the bottom, that would suggest a fish swimming/floating belly up.  Might stand out (and be targeted) in a school of baitfish.  YMMV.....

7 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

You've got to ask them, otherwise they are just focused on getting back to hammering on rain-bait!

Hopefully I’ll have the chance soon.  I broke one off a little over 2 weeks ago - yes I wash rushing and didn’t manage the snot ball tangle of line in and around the stripping basket. Unfortunately I haven’t had another shot since.

I think it’s possible the UV properties of bright pink and chartreuse have more to do with the tutti-frutti’s appeal.  Tom Gilmore’s book says albacore have monochromatic vision, but found a few others who said they were in the mackeral family and had dichromatic vision including blues and some green.

Not sure it matters but found it interesting.  

4 mins ago, Bait Tailer said:

Hopefully I’ll have the chance soon.  I broke one off a little over 2 weeks ago - yes I wash rushing and didn’t manage the snot ball tangle of line in and around the stripping basket. Unfortunately I haven’t had another shot since.

I think it’s possible the UV properties of bright pink and chartreuse have more to do with the tutti-frutti’s appeal.  Tom Gilmore’s book says albacore have monochromatic vision, but found a few others who said they were in the mackeral family and had dichromatic vision including blues and some green.

Not sure it matters but found it interesting.  

Good stuff BT! There are pretty definitative studies that point to Stripers being able to best see anything in the Yellow spectrum. Both Pink and Chartreuse are in that family and the advantage to combining the two is that max contrast is achieved. But Albies and Bonito are different species altogether. 

It does seem that Albies like Electric Yellow over White as a color and they also like Pink as well, along with Amber at times and no doubt, Greens and Olives. Color is a bit overrated when fishing for Albies in my opinion. Their behavior varries widely. Leader and less visible connections appear to be very important. 

On windy days, commotion is absolutely key. Flies that make noise get noticed. In clear water, natural shades seem to be preferred slightly, but I've had days where all pink was the ticket so it's hard to generalize. 

Main thing is that you get out there and enjoy yourself. Probably go with Pink on the bottom but you'll find your own conclusions, as most fly-fishermen do. Focus on the knots and the leader and enjoy that we even have these magnificent torpedoes to target for our own amusement!

1 hour ago, CaryGreene said:

Good stuff BT! There are pretty definitative studies that point to Stripers being able to best see anything in the Yellow spectrum. Both Pink and Chartreuse are in that family and the advantage to combining the two is that max contrast is achieved. But Albies and Bonito are different species altogether. 

It does seem that Albies like Electric Yellow over White as a color and they also like Pink as well, along with Amber at times and no doubt, Greens and Olives. Color is a bit overrated when fishing for Albies in my opinion. Their behavior varries widely. Leader and less visible connections appear to be very important. 

On windy days, commotion is absolutely key. Flies that make noise get noticed. In clear water, natural shades seem to be preferred slightly, but I've had days where all pink was the ticket so it's hard to generalize. 

Main thing is that you get out there and enjoy yourself. Probably go with Pink on the bottom but you'll find your own conclusions, as most fly-fishermen do. Focus on the knots and the leader and enjoy that we even have these magnificent torpedoes to target for our own amusement!

Ever tried a glow albie fly?  I'm not sure glow even exists within fly tying material lexicon but I would sure would like to try out a glow albie whore.