pennfishing82

Inexpensive surf reels

Rate this topic

139 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, pennfishing82 said:

Have you heard of kastking reels? The kastking sharky reel in particular is a sealed reel. There's a YouTube video on that reel being tested. They kept it underwater for about 5 minutes and the reel was still fine. They sell for 60 bucks on Amazon. 

DO NOT BUY "ANY THING " with the KASTKING name on it.. 

13 mins ago, pennfishing82 said:

I think I found the answer. Shimano Socorro spinning reel. 130 bucks. Designed for saltwater. Same reel as the spheros minus a few bells and whistles.

No

5 hours ago, pennfishing82 said:

Just sold it

Argh….  Was it worth it to sell? They are  Indestructible, at least as a backup reel.  Oh well what’s done today s done.  BG is a nice $100 reel.  Real nice actually 

16oz or 22?Again I will recommend the Sedona low ratio, very similar to Socorro...but both HEX shaft.

Higher level...but already in mid-range go to spheros sw low ratio or fast gosa, but with parallel FOOT. Avoid this with new sw-a gosa/spheros.

Or specific old ultegra xsa 10k......bg? you can cover it with +++GREASE.

8 mins ago, canary said:

16oz or 22?Again I will recommend the Sedona low ratio, very similar to Socorro...but both HEX shaft.

Higher level...but already in mid-range go to spheros sw low ratio or fast gosa, but with parallel FOOT. Avoid this with new sw-a gosa/spheros.

Or specific old ultegra xsa 10k......bg? you can cover it with +++GREASE.

I was thinking the Sedona 6000 or Socorro 6000.

5 hours ago, cashews121 said:

DO NOT BUY "ANY THING " with the KASTKING name on it.. 

I've never owned a kastking reel. However, people said they are very good reels and the reason they are priced cheap is because they eliminate the middle man. They don't spend any money on advertising like big name companies. Everytime Penn, shimano, and daiwa advertise their products on YouTube, icast, magazines, it cost them thousands of dollars. So then those companies have to make up that money they spent. So they overcharge for their products. Think about it. A shimano Stella costs 1,000 bucks. If you took apart a Stella, do you honestly think all the parts in that reel are worth 1,000 bucks?? You're paying for the name. Furthermore, my friend owns a 30 dollar kastking centron spinning reel. He took it apart and said it has the same gears and ball bearings as the Penn battle he used to own. He dug deeper and did research, and found out that kastking reels are made in the same Chinese factory as Penn reels. 

Edited by pennfishing82

Most of these reels mentioned work fine if you stay up on the beach and not near the WaWa....one little bit of water / sand grit and most of the mid priced reels start to sieze up in the handle bearing or the rotor.....making the handle tough to turn....untill one rinses it out with fresh water.....it's why I like the Cabo's (PTsE) 40, 50, 60.....they're sealed (Alan Hawk), work very well and at the right price range for the average fisherman.

13 hours ago, pennfishing82 said:

I'm on a budget, and looking for a good inexpensive surf spinning reel that will last a while. Some of my options were a Penn wrath, Penn pursuit, Penn fierce, Penn battle, Daiwa BG, tsunami shield, tsunami guard, tsunami barrier, daiwa eliminator, okuma avenger, okuma ceymar, okuma stratus (sold at dick's sporting goods), what are your opinions??? Also, bass pro shops sells their own brand reels made by name brands. Thoughts??

Are you new to the sport? If you are I would just fish whatever reel you have for a while and figure out what features suit YOU. As with anything fishing related, asking a lot of questions on the internet may help but time on the water using the equipment is the only thing that will answer most of your questions. If you want a decent reel to start just get a $100 penn or diawa spinner and use it for a year. Most of the options out there are functionally similar. Then when youhave a baseline you can move on to stay with what you have if you like it. There is no modern excellent long lasting reel in your price range. 

This was the gear selection path I took and I found out that what works for me doesnt work for a lot of others. 

9 mins ago, Bwt570 said:

Are you new to the sport? If you are I would just fish whatever reel you have for a while and figure out what features suit YOU. As with anything fishing related, asking a lot of questions on the internet may help but time on the water using the equipment is the only thing that will answer most of your questions. If you want a decent reel to start just get a $100 penn or diawa spinner and use it for a year. Most of the options out there are functionally similar. Then when youhave a baseline you can move on to stay with what you have if you like it. There is no modern excellent long lasting reel in your price range. 

This was the gear selection path I took and I found out that what works for me doesnt work for a lot of others. 

I'm not new to the sport by any means. I've been fishing for 30 years. I just got divorced. I'm paying child support, alimony, and rent. On a tight budget

49 mins ago, pennfishing82 said:

I'm not new to the sport by any means. I've been fishing for 30 years. I just got divorced. I'm paying child support, alimony, and rent. On a tight budget

Understood, I'm sorry about the situation man. What reels did you use before? If you like the penns the new spinfishers might be the ticket.