pennfishing82

Inexpensive surf reels

Rate this topic

139 posts in this topic

46 mins ago, hobobob said:

Bite the bullet and get a saragosa or sepheros 6k. Come back to this thread in a year and thank me later.

just remember the saragosa is a manual bail reel, meaning after

you cast you must flip the bail over manually to begin retrieve.....

i own the sw6000.............nice stuff.......

I laugh when I read about "true" surf reels. 

For all the talk of skishing and submersible reels, only a tiny minority of anglers do anything that needs such a tool. Most of us can do quite well with far less.

3 mins ago, CrappieAttitude said:

I agree with hobobob - you can’t go wrong with a Saragossa - and get get some good deals for a used one on SOL

lol there is one posted rn 

5 hours ago, pennfishing82 said:

I'm on a budget, and looking for a good inexpensive surf spinning reel that will last a while. Some of my options were a Penn wrath, Penn pursuit, Penn fierce, Penn battle, Daiwa BG, tsunami shield, tsunami guard, tsunami barrier, daiwa eliminator, okuma avenger, okuma ceymar, okuma stratus (sold at dick's sporting goods), what are your opinions??? Also, bass pro shops sells their own brand reels made by name brands. Thoughts??

You already have one…Penn 710

I used a Penn Battle II for a while before getting a sealed reel -  great reel for the $$. Will require you to clean and service a few times a year though which isn't too difficult. 

45 mins ago, Goose said:

I used a Penn Battle II for a while before getting a sealed reel -  great reel for the $$. Will require you to clean and service a few times a year though which isn't too difficult. 

What would you recommend between a battle and a BG?

6 hours ago, pennfishing82 said:

Others have said the daiwa BG can take a beating.

BG is a decent reel..regardless of what others may say. It has high quality bearings..a "very big" well formed CAST gear..Daiwas designs are well proven. I own two,no issues..and many many many others will concur with me. Just remember,,its not sealed anywhere,and it has a CAST gear..so like many other spinning reels its vulvernable to water intrusion. For a Dock or pier ,or Back Bay,its a fine choice,,Surf is a no no. As far as taking a beating..I know a few guys who use them pretty hard,,and they are still running well. If youre not getting a Van Staal or ZeeBass,,theres only 2 choices..Spheros or Saragosa. 

6 mins ago, cashews121 said:

BG is a decent reel..regardless of what others may say. It has high quality bearings..a "very big" well formed CAST gear..Daiwas designs are well proven. I own two,no issues..and many many many others will concur with me. Just remember,,its not sealed anywhere,and it has a CAST gear..so like many other spinning reels its vulvernable to water intrusion. For a Dock or pier ,or Back Bay,its a fine choice,,Surf is a no no. As far as taking a beating..I know a few guys who use them pretty hard,,and they are still running well. If youre not getting a Van Staal or ZeeBass,,theres only 2 choices..Spheros or Saragosa. 

Have you heard of kastking reels? The kastking sharky reel in particular is a sealed reel. There's a YouTube video on that reel being tested. They kept it underwater for about 5 minutes and the reel was still fine. They sell for 60 bucks on Amazon. 

1 hour ago, pennfishing82 said:

What would you recommend between a battle and a BG?

BG’s and battles are ok if they don’t get wet/sand. Like others have said, Penn z series or Saragossa would be my choices. Save your money and buy a VS. it will last a lifetime with proper maintenance and can withstand any surf condition 

Edited by li_bass_hunter