pennfishing82

Inexpensive surf reels

Rate this topic

139 posts in this topic

I read up on Alan Hawks reviews. He rated the following reels as the best saltwater reels. Shimano spheros as number 1. Followed by the quantum Cabo, Daiwa BG, Penn 704, okuma azeros, shimano Socorro, shimano Sedona, and the Daiwa SS. He does great reviews. He tests each reel for hours. Then takes them apart piece by piece and examines each part and tells how the parts held up, the quality of the metal, quality of ball bearings, etc. 

4 hours ago, BernOC said:

I would suggest now going to your local bait and tackle shop (Causeway B&T probably being close) with the information you have. Bring your rod and talk to the staff about your needs and budget. Toss a few on your rod to feel the balance and make your choice. 

Will check it out. Sea isle in Freeport is going out of business. Everything is on sale. I was there yesterday. They had a new shimano spheros 8000 marked down to 153 dollars. And a used quantum Cabo 50 marked down to 95 dollars.

Best advice overall, avoid debt at all costs. I divorced 10 years ago and nearly instant 5-figure debt that i've never been able to climb out of.

Seems i'll die in debt.

Life choices on my part could have reduced that by now.

On 9/16/2021 at 1:01 PM, hobobob said:

Cuban yoyo. Cheap. Waterproof. Last forever. 

I still use these from time to time.  I stash one in the schoolbus for moments of opportunity.