liambrouillette

New rig suggestions?

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Current surf vehicle is looking like it's nearing the end, a real bummer because I love it. Just wanted to hear some suggestions for its successor. Not interested in a pickup and ideally looking for something that will fit an 11 footer inside. Must have 4 wheel drive obviously. And most likely an older more affordable option, something that can survive lots of long drives and beach driving as well. 

Edited by liambrouillette

1 hour ago, Danthe said:

Toyota 4Runner or maybe a Toyota 4Runner, or possibly a Toyota 4Runner. 

Does anyone know if you can fit an 11 footer inside a 3rd gen?? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't beleave so. I have a Jeep Liberty, there roughly the same size, 4 Runner might be a couple of inches bigger. I can get an 7' 6" one piece in my Jeep, that's  but an inch from the rear gate to almost hitting the dash bottom. So I say no 11'footer will fit. Not even a p/u bed will hold an 11'footer with out sticking out. What ever you get in a real 4x4 truck , you will have to go with a  roof rack mount, A 4 Runner and a jeep liberty are about 15' to 16' overall lenght. I would look up 4 runner specs online. or measuer one at a dealer. I mostly use 2 piece rods for that reason. I don't like traveling with my rods in a front rack.

Edited by hunter123

Your parameters narrow down your search considerably. The only thing I wanted to add is my pickup and my cap both have sliding rear windows. I can fit all my rods inside and I can largely contain the sand to the bed. I hate sand inside my vehicles. 

Bummer, my current ride is an older Audi Q7 and I can slide my 11 footer right in the trunk with the tip lightly resting on the dash with about and inch to spare. Pretty awesome car for highway driving but obviously no beach driving. I'm sure an older suburban would fit one in anyone have experience with those ? 

Toyota Sequoia I have no problem fitting 11.5 foot rod inside vehicle. Plus its a great vehicle I'm on my 3rd one I drive about 30,000 miles a year have owned an 04,10, and now a 20

5 hours ago, Abu caster said:

Toyota Sequoia I have no problem fitting 11.5 foot rod inside vehicle. Plus its a great vehicle I'm on my 3rd one I drive about 30,000 miles a year have owned an 04,10, and now a 20

Haven't really looked into those yet, very good suggestion. Do you do any beach driving ? 

Yes all of my sequoias have been on the beach many times mostly NC they do great in the sand lots of low end torque never have been stuck never had to use 4 lo in sand

FYI all of them have been stock my new one is a TRD Pro