Stripedlivesmatter

Quonnie launch

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I’m planning on launching at the Quonnie boat launch for the first time wondering if anyone has any tips on navigating the channel?…I’ve seen other boats do it, my boats 18 feet, any do’s and dont’s?

I used to do it in a sit on top kayak on outgoing tides like a madman. I’d probably wait for slack and go straight out if I was in a boat. Left and right is danger if I remember correctly and you don’t want to go barreling down on a strong current if you’re unfamiliar with the place. Also blow an air horn as you near the end because you’re gonna have surfcasters with 200 yds of line out drifting plugs sometimes 

Outbound when you get to the ocean you want to bear right at the opening.

There's a shallow reef on the left side you could bounce your motor.

The new ramp is fantastic compared to the old one.

Vast improvement. No more launching into a strong current.

My two bitches..... Not a lot of trailer parking

At low tide the ramp doesn't have a lot of pitch for deeper bigger boats.

Most times your truck tires might be completely in the water.

The location is great for fall fishing with smaller boats.

No more longer trips from Galilee, a time and fuel saver puts you in a very fishy location.

Ditto, take a very hard right as you exit the breachway.   Come in the same way.   You'll want to hug the breachway tip on the right as you go out.   Make sure you let fisherman on rocks know your coming so you don't cut their lines.  I use a whistle.   Also be careful at the ramp, there are some rocks around it below water.   

On 9/14/2021 at 4:42 PM, trwhite said:

I used to do it in a sit on top kayak on outgoing tides like a madman. I’d probably wait for slack and go straight out if I was in a boat. Left and right is danger if I remember correctly and you don’t want to go barreling down on a strong current if you’re unfamiliar with the place. Also blow an air horn as you near the end because you’re gonna have surfcasters with 200 yds of line out drifting plugs sometimes 

Out here trying to kill people :laugh: