Carlo M

Single hand vs two hand

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 1:33 PM, Carlo M said:

What do y'all prefer, single hand rods of two handed rods for the surf?

This would be a subject to ask Mike Oliver here. He is our resident expert on two handers in the surf and he builds rods also. 

Much of this depends on where you fish, how good of a caster you are and how willing you are to try some unconventional things. 

I'm a single handed long rod guy. I like 10' or longer rods from the surf. Out front, in crashing waves, I think a bit longer of a rod helps. On the boat, I go with 9' rods usually, or shorter. 

A shorter rod is much easier to control and cast. The longer rod has more oomph but when you line any rod properly, distance should be fairly easy to achieve. Longer rods generally require moving water to help load the heads and there are some really cool line types like Scani and Skagit heads that have evolved from the Spey fishing world and are now being used in the salt. 

If you're new to the sport, I'd get comfortable with a 9' rod first and then learn to cast "Single Spey" style with it. If you find that you fish areas where you do get some nice, outgoing, moving water, you might benefit from longer rods. 

I like what I like for some good reasons. Beach slope has a big part to play, for me, as does deep wading. The longer rod gives me a little extra clearance on the back cast. A lot of guys can't control longer single handed rods though so I never recommend longer rods to beginner casters for the reason that they do require more advanced casting ability. 

Hope that helps, maybe PM Mikey. 

Depends. 

Prefer single hand - small streams, lakes, belly boat, float tube, boat, jetties, back bay, flats, rocky shorelines.

Prefer two hand - wide (esp. Western) rivers, sod banks, obstructed backcast, and at times: open sandy beaches (wet wading) with moderate wind. 

Surf:   Either/Neither.   Choice of single hand vs. two hand depends on wind, currents, safety considerations (including concern for others), and species targeted. Despite my love of fly fishing, I am not a fly fishing purist; I will switch to spinning gear if conditions strongly favor it. 

Most of my single hand rods are 8ft to 9ft.   I prefer shorter rods to longer single hand rods because I like the shorter lever and often fish in locations that have obstructions or limited back-cast room.  I own two single hand rods that are 9.5ft and 10ft and the jury is out on them.  Not using them enough.  In two hand rods I also go short (11ft to 12'6").  Only own two two hand rods that are 13ft+.  The latter are used mainly for spey in rivers.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 9/14/2021 at 1:33 PM, Carlo M said:

What do y'all prefer, single hand rods of two handed rods for the surf?

M U S T   N O T  R E S P O N D (stabs back of hand with dinner fork to control urges and focus mind on pain instead)

:banghd:    :deadhorse:   :fire:

I can't believe any of you actually answered. . .

Edited by Oakman

LOL. You are right.  Maybe we should not encourage these kinds of posts from those who are possibly trolls.  And if not, should use search fcn.

19 hours ago, Oakman said:

M U S T   N O T  R E S P O N D (stabs back of hand with dinner fork to control urges and focus mind on pain instead)

:banghd:    :deadhorse:   :fire:

I can't believe any of you actually answered. . .

I tried to kill off a new thread like this and was chastised.  Self immolation would have been quicker.

Obvious be the answer., overwhelming majority use single hand. The next majority use totally **** in appropriate  TH sticks and a minute portion fish sticks that do what they say on the tin and we have a lot of fun.

I just dont give a fig anymore. Water horse and lead up to have any resonance in your head Carlos. If not please plough through previous posts and then golf may suddenly have a strong appeal.

Okie thinks your a Troll.:howdy: He tends to be a little bitter and twisted at times which is why we relate to him so well.  

oly

Edited by Mike Oliver

:pop:

I have not used a two hander since I got my flats boat. The mid to upper west coast here in FL does not offer many so called surf possibilities but more wetlands to water type locations with little to no beach where I personally would not walk at night anyway with the critters they have down here.  In the region I fish as the mainland has I bet a thousand small island between it and the gulf. I do not recommend even a 12’er being used it a boat for large fish like say a tarpon. 

Edited by Jim DE

If I could fish with a 100 two hand rod haters  for a season it would be interesting to  see that level of hatred after 12 months,

Unless you have fished one, for at least a season you are unlikely to discover the utter delight and performance increase a well designed TH rod can bring.

Please do not blaspheme and mention the word Switch.

If you are the type that loves a challenge and does not cry foul when the wind blows and go  scarpering for your spinning rod then the TH will bring a wide grin to your face.

You may have to abandon all pre conceived ideas and especially your uniform of chest waders and a fly jacket that will always allow water to get up to your arm pits in favour of a wet suit. But your reward is a more intimate relationship with the ocean and a deeper respect for her.

Just where did the Mountain Man philosophy and way of life go. 

I just do not  understand. But there again when I was a kid I walked to school and back. I played outside too until it was dark.

Mikey.

Edited by Mike Oliver

13 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

If you are the type that loves a challenge and does not cry foul when the wind blows and go  scarpering for your spinning rod then the TH will bring a wide grin to your face.

That is a bit harsh mate.

I feel offended.

Have both, prefer single hand for sight fishing. Steelhead fishing with an indie is quick and I find I can roll cast in tight conditions, My striper fishing is fairly short casts of 45’ or less. I use 9’ rods that 2pc, do not like 3-4 rods. In the surf guys with 12-13 foot 2 handlers are magicians. My skinny short friend throws a 100’ and has shown, taught me how to do it. But, But my casts still go 45’ with another 25’ looped around my head and shoulders.:witty:.maybe cause I’m polish:rav:

>>M U S T   N O T  R E S P O N D (stabs back of hand with dinner fork to control urges and focus mind on pain instead)

:worms::laugh::worms::laugh::worms::laugh:

haha where's the OP anyway?? 

I suggest you call local fly shops, see if they will rent out a two handed rod 10wt 11" set up or longer for the day and try it out.  You don't have to learn traditional spey casting since you will be doing overhead casting but you can experiment just to break up your time on the beach.