Carlo M

topwater flies, do they have a place in your box?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

The gurgler is usually the first fly I use when fishing the beaches early in the morning . I think a lot of it has to do with the confidence you have in a particular fly . I just have confidence that when I cast it out at first light in the morning I'm going to get a hit .

Favorite option, estuary, slow seams, and tide changes. Nothing like the crash when the popper is hammered. Made most of my poopers out of wine corks. Tied with little up front, Green black feathers on rear, no flash needed:rav:

Where I fish in Western Long Island Sound I pretty much fish Clousers exclusively until the water warms up (Late June/ Early July) and then I switch to almost exclusively fishing Gurglers and Crease flies in my first light outings in super shallow water. I'm almost addicted to watching a boil behind my fly as a fish follows or wakes and then slams it. 

This time of year I tend to go out with one rod rigged with an Intermediate and a clouser should I come across Albies or bones. A second rod rigged with a floater with a nod to the Gurgler. My biggest bluefish and bass have come on a Crease fly though. When hardtails are on peanut bunker, those same topwater flies fish well too. 

I have witnessed sand eel bites too where bass were very picky sipping them at the surface when every "match the hatch" sand eel fly was passed up or required more casts than I wanted, alla needle in the haystack. Tie on a gurgler and fish hit it almost immediately. 

Edited by brushfly

Posted (edited) · Report post

"Tie on a gurgler", brushfly said, +, in my experience besides the Gurgler, any slim foam floating fly, on a floating line, casting, let it sit and just a twitch now and then. This goes, for me, day or night, especially, night, with picky stripers on sand eels.

Brushfly's on it!

Edited by flysully
additional info