Carlo M

topwater flies, do they have a place in your box?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

The gurgler is usually the first fly I use when fishing the beaches early in the morning . I think a lot of it has to do with the confidence you have in a particular fly . I just have confidence that when I cast it out at first light in the morning I'm going to get a hit .

Favorite option, estuary, slow seams, and tide changes. Nothing like the crash when the popper is hammered. Made most of my poopers out of wine corks. Tied with little up front, Green black feathers on rear, no flash needed:rav:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Where I fish in Western Long Island Sound I pretty much fish Clousers exclusively until the water warms up (Late June/ Early July) and then I switch to almost exclusively fishing Gurglers and Crease flies in my first light outings in super shallow water. I'm almost addicted to watching a boil behind my fly as a fish follows or wakes and then slams it. 

This time of year I tend to go out with one rod rigged with an Intermediate and a clouser should I come across Albies or bones. A second rod rigged with a floater with a nod to the Gurgler. My biggest bluefish and bass have come on a Crease fly though. When hardtails are on peanut bunker, those same topwater flies fish well too. 

I have witnessed sand eel bites too where bass were very picky sipping them at the surface when every "match the hatch" sand eel fly was passed up or required more casts than I wanted, alla needle in the haystack. Tie on a gurgler and fish hit it almost immediately. 

Edited by brushfly

"Tie on a gurgler", brushfly said, +, in my experience besides the Gurgler, any slim foam floating fly, on a floating line, casting, let it sit and just a twitch now and then. This goes, for me, day or night, especially, night, with picky stripers on sand eels.

Brushfly's on it!

Edited by flysully
additional info

Bob,

That was supposed to be our secret  :-))

"A believer" - absolutely.

My go-to was always a Gurgler - But Bob's popper is much better - whatever he does to them.

Herb

1 hour ago, HL said:

Bob,

That was supposed to be our secret  :-))

"A believer" - absolutely.

My go-to was always a Gurgler - But Bob's popper is much better - whatever he does to them.

Herb

Go ahead and tease Jon C.You have my permission:laugh::howdy:

Jon,

I can't. 

Top secret. 

Seriously- first time I used it - 13 casts - 13 fish.

Also much better hookup ratio than Gurgler.

Haven't tried it as a slider - yet.

Maybe next week. 

Are sand eels still on the Cape in late Sept???

Herb

10 hours ago, HL said:

Jon,

I can't. 

Top secret. 

Seriously- first time I used it - 13 casts - 13 fish.

Also much better hookup ratio than Gurgler.

Haven't tried it as a slider - yet.

Maybe next week. 

Are sand eels still on the Cape in late Sept???

Herb

Absolutely Herb.In the fall we see bigger sandeels than in most of the prior season.When I raked for a couple of shops back 10ish years ago.The sandeels were sometimes twice the size of what's seen all season.The issue with them was they were in a full spawning mode.Loaded with eggs and milt.They didn't hold up well for the shops[2 days] before going "sour".They would keep a little longer when dried and bagged in a saltwater/ice slurry.This would run right into late October/November.Then we'd see runs of Atlantic Saury[late Oct.] showing up on the outer beaches and in CCB.These would be between 9-12+".

In hanging out at the shop in Chatham I found[I guess they've been around for awhile] the Savage Salt Sandeel pencil and Surfwalker floater [6" model#SSW-155-OL]the best imitation lure.The floater looks just like the bigger Fall sandeels.I know you don't fish plugs but it's a great study piece to tie from.I'm tying some for later this month.The lure itself I ripped off the trebles and put on 4-5/0 inlines.Yes! I will throw it on a spinning rod:eek::laugh:.

Oh! The big sliders are in the works too.

Lucky me, I have pictures of Bob's poppers and sliders (due to our "collaboration" with HillTop on the Pole Dancer) but did not know until now that they were subject to such a seal of secrecy. Fortunately I have not shown them to anybody and I guess I'll keep them... secret! 

Edited by Suave
Omission

50 mins ago, Suave said:

Lucky me, I have pictures of Bob's poppers and sliders (due to our "collaboration" with HillTop on the Pole Dancer) but did not know until now that they were subject to such a seal of secrecy. Fortunately I have not shown them to anybody and I guess I'll keep them... secret! 

Actually it's the process and materials.Most who look at them will say.Ah! no big deal and I did the same when shown for the 1st time by my deceased[12/20] friend.We went and fished together in the same area and he used his popper and I used the ones that I made the night prior in his design[but my stubborn way].Well,it got to the point of after a ratio of 8+ to 1 and my tangled/twisted leader no hits,etc,etc I wanted to toss the whole rig in the water.I became a believer and knelt before him in defeat!

4 hours ago, theshadow said:

Actually it's the process and materials.Most who look at them will say.Ah! no big deal and I did the same when shown for the 1st time by my deceased[12/20] friend.We went and fished together in the same area and he used his popper and I used the ones that I made the night prior in his design[but my stubborn way].Well,it got to the point of after a ratio of 8+ to 1 and my tangled/twisted leader no hits,etc,etc I wanted to toss the whole rig in the water.I became a believer and knelt before him in defeat!

Shadow: Bob Popovic's pattern and description of how to tie his famous foam head popper is included in my Pop Fleyes hardcover book. Admittedly, it was one of Bob's earliest and greatest fly tying books, IMO, anyway. So glad I've kept it and do refer to it when tying. That's how I've tied his popper, fished it and have been successful. He appeared at one of our flyfishing club's meetings years ago and did tie his popper fly according to the pattern in his book.

So, is this how you're tying your Popovics popper "secret" fly or did your fishing friend add a couple of his own "tweaks"? 

Also, very sorry to hear of your deceased fishing friend. Sometimes, dear fishing friends are more special to us than everyday friends:agree:

14 mins ago, flysully said:

Shadow: Bob Popovic's pattern and description of how to tie his famous foam head popper is included in my Pop Fleyes hardcover book. Admittedly, it was one of Bob's earliest and greatest fly tying books, IMO, anyway. So glad I've kept it and do refer to it when tying. That's how I've tied his popper, fished it and have been successful. He appeared at one of our flyfishing club's meetings years ago and did tie his popper fly according to the pattern in his book.

So, is this how you're tying your Popovics popper "secret" fly or did your fishing friend add a couple of his own "tweaks"? 

Also, very sorry to hear of your deceased fishing friend. Sometimes, dear fishing friends are more special to us than everyday friends:agree:

I do tie a similar style popper like pops.This one by my friend is different and a simple one when you see it.I modified my friends into a slider that I use when the popper spooks the fish.It's really kind of a joke about the "secret".