Carlo M

topwater flies, do they have a place in your box?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Do you guys ever find yourselves throwing topwater flies such as gurglers for bass from the beach ever? In good fall conditions i feel as if its almost impossible not to want to. What type of flies do you throw? Any large fly preferences?

For flies that actually pop when they're jerked I like Bob Pop's popper or one I've made. For less pop I like Jack Garthside Gurgler and Joe Blados' Crease Fly.  Sometimes you need a big pop and others subtle is going to work. 

1 hour ago, saltyh2ofly said:

For flies that actually pop when they're jerked I like Bob Pop's popper or one I've made. For less pop I like Jack Garthside Gurgler and Joe Blados' Crease Fly.  Sometimes you need a big pop and others subtle is going to work. 

I'm with him ^^^^. I'll never, not look to a surface fly first, same as any other fishing. Just because it's so much more fun and exciting. If conditions warrant, that's fist out of the box.

And to the OP...

You made me think about it so much that I went and looked thru all of my fly boxes. They are all set up with top water either on top and then down thru the water column, or, left to right starting with the top waters.

Lolol.

In my box - always...

On my leader - rarely.   

I'm most often using a sinking line and I'm often too lazy, stubborn, or stupid (take your pick) to change it.  

I do carry a 15' length of floating line with two loops so I can convert an intermediate into a float tip line...it works...kinda.

Posted (edited) · Report post

47 mins ago, Beomurf said:

In my box - always...

On my leader - rarely.   

I'm most often using a sinking line and I'm often too lazy, stubborn, or stupid (take your pick) to change it.  

I do carry a 15' length of floating line with two loops so I can convert an intermediate into a float tip line...it works...kinda.

That's a new one. I also suffer from changing spool/head laziness.

I usually throw on a popper when things are very slow or when fish are occasionally hitting bait aggressively. The other day I was catching a few smaller fish off a boulder field and threw on a tube popper, connected first cast. It rarely works for me when they are not feeding headlong.

Edited by Sngl2th

For me, in FL, when the mullet are in the river, I’ll throw a lot of top water, mostly crease flys and bangers. Big jacks run the sea walls and will come to the top. Awesome. Used to swing page Rogers slim Jims in the outflow of a salt marsh pond on a drop tide at night for stripers. 

I always have some gurglers but don't use them much. Used them yesterday because I grabbed the wrong reel bag and wound up with a tropical floating line instead of my usual intermediate. Nothing good came of that but it's not the fly's fault lol.

When conditions warrant a floating line always have some in the box, gurglers,bangers, and some sliders. For me a crease fly is strictly subsurface on an intermediate or full sink...that's what Joe Blados specifically developed it for.

5 mins ago, onthefly said:

Just got done tying a dozen gurgles and poppers made from  foam wine cork.in a bliitz situation fun for blues and bass

The bluefish will make short work of em, but eh, thats why we tie em...

I fish poppers all the time.Both on the outer beaches and bays.These are made from lobster bouys found on the beach in the winter.When the popper stops working and knowing the fish are still around I've modified the popper shape into a slider that has the action of a sandeel sliding along the surface.Just creating a "V" and the fish just smash them all over again.Especially in the bays with moving water.Taking the slider and putting it on a sinking line works well too when the fish are deeper in the water close to the bottom.I convinced HL[Herb L.] back a couple of years ago of their use on the Cape[Race Point Ptwn].I gave him a couple to try he's a big believer now.

3 hours ago, theshadow said:

When the popper stops working and knowing the fish are still around I've modified the popper shape into a slider that has the action of a sandeel sliding along the surface.Just creating a "V" and the fish just smash them all over again.Especially in the bays with moving water.

I use a "popper" developed and popular for fishing for searun cutthroat trout in Puget Sound, called the Miyawaki Popper.  It's more of a slider, and as @theshadow notes, the fish can't seem to resist that v-wake.