HeyNine-ah

Tactical Angler Clips

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 3:35 PM, shark lobster said:

I never leave a lure on clip it can bang against blank ! I take lure off and reel it up keep drag loose 

Even though I know better, I stupidly left a metal lip on “temporarily” which stretched into a few days. Blanks looked like it was chewed afterwards.

I also sometimes use the stripper guide - not the ring. 

When I’m actually prepared, a mono piece with surgeons loops at both ends works great but nothing wrong with TA clip back around the leader or the main line. 

Since ditching the Coast Lock snaps for the TA clips years ago I also had an issue with how to attach the clip to my rod when not fishing. I settled on stringing the leader through the guide a clipping the leader. As someone previously wrote I also saw I was damaging the leader ever so slightly and wanted to come up with a better fix. I believe I have found that fix by using a brass sinker eye. I cut the sinker eye so that half the brass loop is open for me to attach my clip.

Pictures are a better way to describe what I'm trying to explain. 

First picture is a whole sinker eye and next to it is the cut clip. 

The next picture shows a rod that I attached it to using two 4 inch tie wraps. This has worked out great since I started doing this in 2021.

The last picture is my wifes rod that I re-wrapped this winter and instead of using tie wraps I wrapped it between the guide feet. My plan going forward is to attach a sinker eye on all my rods when the time comes to re-wrap the rod.

When I used the tie wraps the end of the sinker eye is turned up and when I tighten the tie wrap it lays in between the turned up end and where it curves. This keeps the tie wrap from sliding off. The 2nd tie wrap is wrapped on the loop of the sinker eye. The sinker eye might fold over but is easily straighten out and it does not move at all up or down the blank. 

When I wrapped it on the rod I flattened the part of the sinker eye that lays on the rod. I found this easily done with pliers. Brass is not stiff and bends fairly easily. I then file down the end like a guide foot and it's easily wrapped on. 

The sinker eye does not impact casting or any other use of the rod when fishing. I hope this helps.

20220525_194152.jpg

20220525_193305.jpg

20220525_193517.jpg

I put Mine through the braid and reel sorta tight, I’ll loosen it up over night so there’s no pressure,  it locks up under the first guide , never had an issue or line Compromised at all. 

in the last 3 years has anyone else noticed they are not as strong as they once were ? 

1 hour ago, Leifg said:

Since ditching the Coast Lock snaps for the TA clips years ago I also had an issue with how to attach the clip to my rod when not fishing. I settled on stringing the leader through the guide a clipping the leader. As someone previously wrote I also saw I was damaging the leader ever so slightly and wanted to come up with a better fix. I believe I have found that fix by using a brass sinker eye. I cut the sinker eye so that half the brass loop is open for me to attach my clip.

Pictures are a better way to describe what I'm trying to explain. 

First picture is a whole sinker eye and next to it is the cut clip. 

The next picture shows a rod that I attached it to using two 4 inch tie wraps. This has worked out great since I started doing this in 2021.

The last picture is my wifes rod that I re-wrapped this winter and instead of using tie wraps I wrapped it between the guide feet. My plan going forward is to attach a sinker eye on all my rods when the time comes to re-wrap the rod.

When I used the tie wraps the end of the sinker eye is turned up and when I tighten the tie wrap it lays in between the turned up end and where it curves. This keeps the tie wrap from sliding off. The 2nd tie wrap is wrapped on the loop of the sinker eye. The sinker eye might fold over but is easily straighten out and it does not move at all up or down the blank. 

When I wrapped it on the rod I flattened the part of the sinker eye that lays on the rod. I found this easily done with pliers. Brass is not stiff and bends fairly easily. I then file down the end like a guide foot and it's easily wrapped on. 

The sinker eye does not impact casting or any other use of the rod when fishing. I hope this helps.

20220525_194152.jpg

20220525_193305.jpg

20220525_193517.jpg

Grab a open eye siwash hook, cut the tip off. Open eye on the TA and hook on the reel knob.  No extra things on the rod and nothing near the guides that could get in the way. Easiest thing I’ve found other the a bucktail on the way out and in. 

Mark L the sinker eye does not interfere with casting or the act of fishing. It's light in weight and brass doesn't rust. I find it convenient to have something attached to the rod and it worked great using it all of last year.

Best solution I have found.   Go to pharmacy dollar store, and purchase some hair bands that women use. Take the band loop it through the clip and back like a loop to loop connection on a fly leader.  Then put the other end around the reel handle.  The hair bands are also great for keeping droppers in place, and keeping spools from unwinding.  

6CF97DE5-3A84-4F48-A3F2-A0BFDD364F20.jpeg

1E10F2B4-3566-4DAE-9FD9-11A5BE44FC15.jpeg

• What I do is add a bead made from a destroyed grub . I cut the body of the grub into 3/8 lengths and push the leader through the middle of the cut piece and then tie the mono to the clip.. Now this will allow you to bring the clip all the way up to the top eye without damaging the eye because the piece of grub will be a cushion ...

Zip tie a large split ring underneath and just above the reel seat and clip to that

I have been clipping the tail hook of a plug to a guide foot or reel handle for 30 years without issue.  

At the end of the trip I either clip the TA to the hook keeper or pass it through the guide frame and back to the leader.  Why over complicate things....

So many ways to do it… but I guess it’s all personal preference- but it is one of those things that will bug you until you figure out what works for you. 

I used to wrap the leader around the reel handle and clip it to the leader but it seems like the TA clip chewed up the leader quick. 

otherwise- right to the guide frame if it works easy. 

my other preferred method is as  others mentioned above which works nice and has some give since the black loop is stretchy bungie material. Then I use a bigger split ring and swivel to connect to. 51F65D21-D3FE-472D-9884-6BBFE9B885B4.jpeg.ff68b5e4fb1e3d7ea7ef19c0505ce288.jpegB046EE73-FA76-4793-A1CF-ACC797268439.jpeg.d4e56236c887188941ca6f816a4b13a3.jpeg

I've thought about it. And that's enough for me. Really don't worry when I'm using 40lb leader and up though. So maninly for "lighter leaders"...

I attach the clip to the braid. Just grab the clip and run the line/leader under the reel handle. Instead of clipping right there to the keader, keep running it up to the stripper guide and clip to the braid. 

For those using the bands and hair ties. No need for terminal. There's a couple ways but easiest being to run it through the clip and hook BOTH ends to the reel handle. 

(For those taking apart 2 piece rods for travel instead of leaving them in the rack. Those same hair ties or small rubber gear ties work simply at reducing/removing the rattling.)

Two outings ago I had a fish on and instantly lost it, reeled in an empty clip. Took my plug. Later on had another bite and set the hook, lost the fish instantly. My knot came off the clip. Lost the same exact plug twice in one night hours from each other due to clip failure. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

My knot came off the clip. Lost the same exact plug twice in one night hours from each other due to clip failure. 

I had the same thing happen to me. I just started using those clips recently.   Lost too many plugs from using snaps.   It was weird to reel in an just see the knot at the end of my leader with no clip.    Does anybody have a solution for the clips sliding off the knot  

additionally I have noticed that the split ring on the swarters are a PIA with these clips.   Do you guys take the split ring off the swarters 

Edited by UncleJohn