nightfighter

Fisherman lost?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

 

Should always think, if i went in where am i getting out

When we were kids my grandfather always told us to figure out 2 things before you ever set foot on a rock: 1) if you hook a fish how are you going to land it? and 2) if you go in how are you getting out? I still think about that every time I step out on a rock and if I can't answer both I find a new spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Hazard is a fishy looking but yet scary place.  I personally don't fish it.

 

Makes me nervous seeing everyone in their Nike sneakers fishing there.

The gradient there is very steep. Hell, I would think twice about it in studded Korkers. Then I see guys literally running around in flipflops on that black algae chasing albies and I cringe, expecting the worst. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, Finneus said:

When we were kids my grandfather always told us to figure out 2 things before you ever set foot on a rock: 1) if you hook a fish how are you going to land it? and 2) if you go in how are you getting out? I still think about that every time I step out on a rock and if I can't answer both I find a new spot. 

I’ll add one more because of the popularity of C&R with large bass.  Landing fish in sketchy places could be much safer than safely releasing a fish in the same location.  You can use the waves to help land a fish.  To release a large bass you need to get much closer to the waters edge.  If I can’t safely release a fish in the area I won’t even cast there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, DZ said:

I’ll add one more because of the popularity of C&R with large bass.  Landing fish in sketchy places could be much safer than safely releasing a fish in the same location.  You can use the waves to help land a fish.  To release a large bass you need to get much closer to the waters edge.  If I can’t safely release a fish in the area I won’t even cast there.  

You're saying that flinging a fish by it's tail 10 or 15 ft and have it bounce off a rock and splash down in a crashing wave isn't good C&R technique? :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Town of Narragansett is supposed to put up Rescue Stations, life rings and ropes in many areas and places again.

They have done this before in past years.

It's a dame shame when they are needed to save a life, that they have been vandalized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a teen fishing Hazard, Newton and Bass Rock, they once put up nice throwable life rings with ropes in lovely white stands. The rings and ropes were stolen in a matter of weeks; the empty stands were destroyed soon after. 
 

This was the late 70’s. Can’t imagine them lasting even half that long today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thermoklein said:

When I was a teen fishing Hazard, Newton and Bass Rock, they once put up nice throwable life rings with ropes in lovely white stands. The rings and ropes were stolen in a matter of weeks; the empty stands were destroyed soon after. 
 

This was the late 70’s. Can’t imagine them lasting even half that long today.

Sad but true. :dismay:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2021 at 10:30 AM, Finneus said:

When we were kids my grandfather always told us to figure out 2 things before you ever set foot on a rock: 1) if you hook a fish how are you going to land it? and 2) if you go in how are you getting out? I still think about that every time I step out on a rock and if I can't answer both I find a new spot. 

Exactly. I was fishing from some rocks the other night and picked what I thought was a safe spot. Of course, the fish showed up at a different location and I went after them. I was barely able to land one good-sized bass in the heavy surf and felt certain that I was going to take a bad fall. I left that spot to the spry 20-something who I’d been fishing with and moved back to a safer spot down in the sand.

 

Been there, done that, and still have the scars. No fish is worth that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, fishinbill said:

Exactly. I was fishing from some rocks the other night and picked what I thought was a safe spot. Of course, the fish showed up at a different location and I went after them. I was barely able to land one good-sized bass in the heavy surf and felt certain that I was going to take a bad fall. I left that spot to the spry 20-something who I’d been fishing with and moved back to a safer spot down in the sand.

 

Been there, done that, and still have the scars. No fish is worth that. 

A smart move and one to not feel guilty about.

I know/am learning how difficult it can be to be at odds with yourself at knowing when to say when or no way from the start.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rescue stations will most likely be vandalized as they were in the past. 

Along with the stations, they should consider fire call boxes at those locations. When the box is pulled, all available resources could roll especially when they see the location. The infrastructure is already there for the boxes. I think there is a fire call box at the end of Newton already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Gansettcaster said:

The rescue stations will most likely be vandalized as they were in the past. 

Along with the stations, they should consider fire call boxes at those locations. When the box is pulled, all available resources could roll especially when they see the location. The infrastructure is already there for the boxes. I think there is a fire call box at the end of Newton already. 

That worked in the old days and on the highways too. Remember seeing them along the highways?

Outdated..... everyone has a cell phone. They would get vandalized too.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

That worked in the old days and on the highways too. Remember seeing them along the highways?

Outdated..... everyone has a cell phone. They would get vandalized too.

  Yes, I rememember the call boxes on the highways.  I am talking about fire alarm pull boxes that are still in use and are effective. 

   Everyone has cell phones,  but in an emergency people can get hysterical, shook up, confused about where they are if they don't know the area. With the pull boxes, the fire department gets the location and can dispatch help immediately.

  Vandalism is always a risk.  

 

 I mistakenly referred to them as "call" boxes instead of fire alarm pull boxes

 

Edited by Gansettcaster
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.