nightfighter

Fisherman lost?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Narragansett Fire Chief Scott Partington told NBC 10 News that a man was fishing from the rocks when he slipped and fell into the water Friday afternoon.

I first heard about this yesterday. Another man lost off Hazard Ave in Newport. No names as of updated report. Praying for family and friends. Hoping neither victim are from our fishing sites...

52 mins ago, nightfighter said:

I first heard about this yesterday. Another man lost off Hazard Ave in Newport Narragansett. No names as of updated report. Praying for family and friends. Hoping neither victim are from our fishing sites...

FIFY.

Very sad, tragic really. We're all gonna die someday but it sucks when it could have been avoided. 

It sucks but it's a teaching moment for me. My 15 year old had the day off from school Friday and was chomping the bit to go fish. I canceled based on the marine forecast. He took it well but I could tell he thought I was being over cautious. I suspect he would have gone anyway if he had a ride.

This will definitely make him think and hopefully be a lesson that lasts beyond the time I have a say on what he does.

I as many of you watch how the subsistence fishermen fish these open surf areas.   For the most part they are in flip flops or sneakers at best.  Many are immigrants who may not even pay attention to forecasts, have no comprehension of tides, set up on a rocky face and basically stay there regardless of flood or ebb tide.  I’ve tried to speak to many of them in the past when littering is a problem.  Many of them just look at me and have no idea what I’m telling them.  In the case of Newport it’s sad because there are public access state areas where they can easily duck into waters that are protected from waves.  

At the water line, that rock becomes a vertical wall. After going there at low tide with some surf, you can really see what's below the water line.  The trough of the wave unveils the rocks below. It's pretty much a wall below the water line.  If I went in the water off those rocks, I think I would rather tread water till help came than try climbing back up.  

8 hours ago, gnihsif said:

At the water line, that rock becomes a vertical wall. After going there at low tide with some surf, you can really see what's below the water line.  The trough of the wave unveils the rocks below. It's pretty much a wall below the water line.  If I went in the water off those rocks, I think I would rather tread water till help came than try climbing back up.  

Or swim around till you have a better place to exit.  

Should always think, if i went in where am i getting out

I am sad to hear about those who were lost recently. It's good that there is talk about it though because even if it's just one person, someone will read these posts and rethink something that might save their life. This weekend the surf was rough and I saw fishermen young and old doing stupid things near the dangerous water. Like waders, water shoes, no belt jumping around the rocks in a swell and standing with back turned to waves. The over confidence kills people. 

34 mins ago, Bwt570 said:

I am sad to hear about those who were lost recently. It's good that there is talk about it though because even if it's just one person, someone will read these posts and rethink something that might save their life. This weekend the surf was rough and I saw fishermen young and old doing stupid things near the dangerous water. Like waders, water shoes, no belt jumping around the rocks in a swell and standing with back turned to waves. The over confidence kills people. 

More like lack of knowledge. Like someone else said, they don't look at surf/weather forecast. They just "go".

I read another story about the drowning in Newport.  Apparently not a fisherman.  A 61 year old man from PA taking a walk with his wife on the Cliff Walk.  He must have wandered off the trail onto some dangerous rocks.