Wire For Fire

Ya ever seen this ???

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Well going through my trunk getting things organized I find this needle that was very productive for me .. I grab it up and I’m like wtf .. epoxy was peeling off everywhere . Sucky 

etex , been using for long time , hundreds of plugs , this a first for me .. guess I’m gonna peel everything I can off and recoat it and just keep tossing it .. 

7F2A911B-F05E-4345-B862-C8CDB0AB5FC7.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

It could be a few things but if I had to guess I'd say something in your process prior to clear wasn't fully cured. Paint, primer, sealer..if any of those hasn't fully cured, flashed off or dried that moisture will eventually find its way to the surface.  Also wood will expand and contract..it's what it naturally does. Being in a hot trunk will cause wood to expand. The better you seal it the less it will do so

Edited by lazzyone

Posted (edited) · Report post

I speculate you got a little hasty with the clear enamel before epoxying.

Maybe dried in a cooler environment than usual and just didn’t fully flash off like Chris mentioned above.

Could also be the can of clear enamel is bad, if it gets below freezing in your garage that is not good.  Same goes for Etex or any epoxy.

Edited by t_man7

Did you seal it with BLO/Spirits ? Heat can make it bleed   The trunk was an oven. OMO but I had it happen. I soak for 24 hours and let stand 2 weeks or more. I’ve been told by a way more experienced builder that a dip is all I need as it can only penetrate so far and it cures faster. 

35 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Did you seal it with BLO/Spirits ? Heat can make it bleed   The trunk was an oven. OMO but I had it happen. I soak for 24 hours and let stand 2 weeks or more. I’ve been told by a way more experienced builder that a dip is all I need as it can only penetrate so far and it cures faster. 

If that was the case we would be seeing bare wood.  Picture of a Frech that someone posted on the site.

7045F2D7-008D-481C-8908-89203D43CDBF.jpeg

I run the sudsy method . Heat in toaster oven , warm expoxy and smear all over inside and out and let soak in and wipe excess and let cure few days ..  the epoxy pealing off was pretty soft and playable some I’m guessing problems in the top coats . Very possible I rushed and didn’t let the matte clear dry enough . I been know to be impatient 

After applying the Matt finish I let stand 2 days or more and i wondering if this is necessary. I’ve never tried the epoxy sealing method ,what’s the advantage or short comings of this compared to BLO ?

On 9/17/2021 at 4:07 AM, Kones1 said:

After applying the Matt finish I let stand 2 days or more and i wondering if this is necessary. I’ve never tried the epoxy sealing method ,what’s the advantage or short comings of this compared to BLO ?

Plugs last longer,hard to get pointers

Look at the crap you got from me.

Fish it and you will see you.             plug piglet 

Oink

On 9/14/2021 at 7:53 AM, Wire For Fire said:

Well going through my trunk getting things organized I find this needle that was very productive for me .. I grab it up and I’m like wtf .. epoxy was peeling off everywhere . Sucky 

etex , been using for long time , hundreds of plugs , this a first for me .. guess I’m gonna peel everything I can off and recoat it and just keep tossing it .. 

7F2A911B-F05E-4345-B862-C8CDB0AB5FC7.jpeg

Wire,, peel it and re epoxy 

32 mins ago, bassmaster said:

Plugs last longer,hard to get pointers

Look at the crap you got from me.

Fish it and you will see you.             plug piglet 

Oink

Dip ?  How long ? How do you know it made it all the way and penetrated the through hole ? Your plugs are awesome and catch fish , the epoxy finish is indestructible bro no doubt. Got any you wanna sell to ol’Joey boy ? I need a real nice big fat Danny ! 

Just now, Kones1 said:

Dip ?  How long ? How do you know it made it all the way and penetrated the through hole ? Your plugs are awesome and catch fish , the epoxy finish is indestructible bro no doubt. Got any you wanna sell to ol’Joey boy ? I need a real nice big fat Danny ! 

Getting a plug off me is like pulling teeth.    Against the rules here anyway. 

Dude ,I have a flo chart needle in my bag. 

I was tossing it and got a few fish when I just stopped and was shining my light on it.  Mike L is like wtf are you doing.

Im just looking and marveling at the plug and saying its to nice ,im keeping it.  The plug is mine and I ho,d my own plug from fishing lol.

That's messed up dude ,

10 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Dude I have 6 of your needles, WTF ? I have plugs to trade and dead presidents. Plus who the **** loves you more than me ****nuts ?

Just torture me on the beach, every one else does for wood.

Im scared to tell ya im finishing 10 for 2 guys on the beach.

Im startin to feel like George out there