Danthe

ONE rod and reel to cover it all.....

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

I too say no way initially. You can't have 1 to do all. But for fun and to the OP, you can get close. I feel a few have been suggested.  The 7'6" - 8' rods CAN be used in salt and fresh. Boat, kayak, surf, pier...

I have the 8' DNA with a 4500 BLS Spinfisher that has thrown little 1/4oz jigs decently and 1.5 - 2oz needles well. That covers most of the range, for general lure fishing...def not all though. You could make the argument that you may not be strictly targeting larger species with larger plugs but can still catch them with up to 2oz obviously. Just not filling a niche(standard for some)

It is possible with 3 outfits to handle almost anything,,,,,,,:eek: i got a pflueger patriarch 3500 10ft Suzuki rod,,0 to 30lb maybe,,,,,torque5.  25wt 7ft fin-nor,,,,,,9/0maxed out 130wt rod,,,,,:beatin: but what you're talking about is a 300 irt or any decent 4000 to 5000 reel paired with a Suzuki 9.6 that's what i would do,,,,,,,,,:D

Agree with the can't have just one to do it ALL...but if I could only own ONE combo...

7'6" MH Carbon Shield 2 w/ Stradic 4K 20#

The two combos are fish the most around the CT river mouth area:

7' M Carbon Sheild 2 w/ Conflict 2 3K 10#

9'6" Suzuki Special w/ Back Bay LT 4K 20#

So this would split the difference :_)

I think a lot of people here have the right idea, something between a 7’-8’ rod with a 4000-5000 size reel would probably be the answer if there could be only one. I fished just a 7’ MH Ugly Stik with a 4000 Penn Fierece for a couple season when I first started out. Worked fine from the boat, estruaries, bays, surf and jetties. Would I have been under gunned and screwed had I ever landed an exceptionally larger fish in some of those scenarios? Probably but it never happened. Biggest issue was not being able to throw heavier lures when getting deep and through heavy current was necessary. Think that rod was rated 1/2-1-1/2oz but a lot of rod makers out there seem to have wider ratings on them now. Not sure if they exist but a 1/2-3oz 7’6” medium heavy power with moderate fast action sounds like it’d really cover the bases.

1 hour ago, iwantmypie said:

Not sure if they exist but a 1/2-3oz 7’6” medium heavy power with moderate fast action sounds like it’d really cover the bases.

There are a number of 7'–8' that are rated 3/4oz–2oz, which would sorta be the "true" rating of the rod you described. Which gets back to why ratings can be so frustrating, due to both over and underestimation. 

One of the reasons a lot of folks love the carbon shield besides the price is its ability to throw light to heavy... e.g. my medium shield rated 1/8–3/4; will legit throw a light bucktail even though it doesn't feel loaded, but can also chuck over an oz without concern. Compared to my Lami Black MH 3/8–1 which when throwing at or slightly under and oz (which is well within its given rating) you start to question the rod's integrity. 

Edited by af15e

I could. If I could have one combo for the rest of my days, I would probably go with a 3000-4000 spinning reel with a Medium-Medium Heavy Inshore Rod, probably 7’6” or so. Light enough to throw lighter stuff but I can throw 2 oz if necessary. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My go too travel spin set up is currently a 3000 Certate w/ Ardito MH F 7'6' 3pc 8-17# 1/4-1oz. My travel caster is Daiwa Coastal TW on a Ardito M F 7' 3pc 8-17# 1/4-3/4oz.   The 7" Ardito is up for sale, I just ordered the 8'3" Inshore Surf today. 

Edited by nfnDrum

I have a 7 ft travel rod with stradic 5k that has landed everything from 6" grunts up to 100 lb tarpon and many fish in between.  Were the small fish sporting, no.  Was it underguned for 100lb tarpon, yes.  Now, I typically travel with tow spinners and two fly rods.  That rod covers my heavier stuff (cudas, permit and tarpon), while a lighter spinner makes the smaller fish fun.  After watching a tarpon turn the stradic drag washers into carbon toothpaste, I strongly recommend going to aftermarket drag washers if your gonna stress the reel like that.