Danthe

ONE rod and reel to cover it all.....

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

7'6" Start Stellar Lite one piece surf rod matched with a VR-50.  Buy an extra spool and you are all set for heavy and light.  If you don't want to do that, throw some 20 pound braid on it and you'll be fine.  Are you going to be able to land a 40# bass in heavy current?  Probably not...but its not impossible.

I cut more fish with my basic, beginners gear, than now.

My fist rod was Shimano FX rod, 70MB2 paired with either 2000 or 4000 IXR.

I fished everywhere with them; bonitos at Catalina Island, CA, stripers in Lake Mead, Nevada, rainbow trouts in Northern California; small streams and lakes California and upper Nevada; fresh water NY.

And, at that time, had more fun with those things than, with all my "fancy" stuff, now.

I still love using those rods; I had them in 7' , 8' and 9' and I have several 4000R and 2000R

13 hours ago, Danthe said:

Could you?

Jack of all trades, master of none. Spoons, popping corks, jigs, live bait, softbaits, hard baits. Flounder, Specs, Spanish Mackerel, Pompano, Blues, Stripers, Drum, Spot. Piers, inshore, surf, kayak.

Etc, etc....

No.  As in "no such animal."

When I drive to Hatteras (Buxton) I carry a surf rod that can cast a 6 oz. sinker and a good size bait. Such an outfit would be totally out of place on a kayak. And all but useless for casting "spoons, popping corks, jigs (below 3 oz.) live bait...." A rod that will tell you pompano are at your bait wouldn't begin to handle the 6+ oz. I mentioned.

10 hours ago, Danthe said:

Considering the amount of golf crap I just sold, I’d say ONE set covers it!! Ha!!

Don’t even get me started on hunting gear.....

Yeah my dad was pro trap shooter for awhile 12 ga, 20 ga, side by side double , over and under all peratzi stolen by relatives when he passed away in 1987 probably worth 200 grand today

1 hour ago, Danthe said:

Awww now come on, #2 Phillips is the most used one in the box. 

Sounds like my wife referring to the “tools I don’t even need or use.” (Except she would say “that one” referring to the #2 philips.)

If this one-combo-to-rule-them-all question is where you are right now, you’re happily on the other side of the equation from most of us who caught the “tackle bug” — that’s the fishing HIV and it leads to full blown AIDS later. 

What everyone else said is good, but I say go fiberglass and hopefully your gear will escalate minimally from there. 

That’s how I started and… I gathered a bunch of gear from there. (But catching is the actual thrill and you can catch on any gear - even a Barbie combo - just with less technique and no style.)

”What’s my drug of choice? Well, what have you got?”

Layne Staley

AIC

Oh, trust me, my tackle “bug” is pretty bad. The vaccine just doesn’t work! Just making conversation though. The misses and I are only taking 8 rods for our fall trip. We did kind of a quick “get the hell outta Dodge” trip earlier this year. Fishing, golf, and rum were the only thing on the menu and we decided to pack light. Decided we were only going to play a par 3 and didn’t even bother with our bags! 2 putters, 2 wedges, handful of balls, 2-7 footers and one small tray of tackle. Just kinda piddled around. Fun stuff! 

I’m not saying I’d get in the conga line with what I had, but I’d take my chances away from the masses to see if I could make chicken salad out of chicken schit! I think I have a bad habit of “hold my drink and watch this.....” Haha!!!! 

On 9/14/2021 at 7:36 AM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Yup.........have done it for years.......also have a NIB combo for sale on BST....Cabo 40 PTsE and a 8'0 Tsunami Airwave....it'll do it all.....and at the right price for a sealed reel and rod.

back up on the BST......