Danthe

ONE rod and reel to cover it all.....

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

47 mins ago, onthefly said:

No way can't do that. Would you play a course with just one club. You might be able to find a setup that does alot of things ok ? But nothing exceptionally.  Now if you got 2 rods 7 to 8 ft 3/4 is to 1.5 oz and second rod 10 ft 2 to 5 oz that's pretty good

Considering the amount of golf crap I just sold, I’d say ONE set covers it!! Ha!!

Don’t even get me started on hunting gear.....

I think the others have it right, track down a 8' 1/2-2 or 3/4-3 that you like handling, and put a 4k or 5k on it. It won't be fun with the light stuff, and it won't cast 4oz very far or vary often, but in the middle, it will get the job done. I had a 8' Tica I grabbed on a whim when they were dirt cheap, put a 5k Stradic on it, and used it for all kinds of stuff. Definitely in the running for a do it all, or the one to bring if I had no idea what I'd find when I got there.  One day I stupidly didn't get it back in the truck while  packing in a rush to avoid a squall, and I still kick myself.

7' m rod and 4000 reel has done it all for me. Only thing that needs adjustment for different fishing is line choice.

From small whiting to a gag grouper and king mackerel.

3 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

8' DNA comes pretty close. I never throw more than 2 oz with it but that still covers a ton of fishing for me

What reel(s) do you use with you 8' DNA?

Did all of my plugging, jigging, chunking with a 10 foot honey Lami, okay, sometimes an 11 foot Diawa Sealine. Any thumbleveler will do. Now that I can only chunk, it’s the honey and an old Squidder.

image.jpg

I wouldn't call it a jack of all trades but I love the fact I can fish my VR50 all day long and not tire. 9' ML Elite surf rod. Great for Macks and 30" stripers. Even caught FW trout on it.

9 ft GSB 3/4oz to 3oz, VS 150. Want to toss something small, use an egg and this throws 1oz quite well. Even tosses 3oz pretty well. If you need more then I submit you also have a decent reason to not be out there (assuming weather is the reason). 

2 hours ago, Shock Collar said:

What reel(s) do you use with you 8' DNA?

Stradic 5k - fluke/albie/small lures and fast retrieve in mind

Spheros 5/6k - striper/blue/more moderate conditions and torque-y retrieve in mind

Stradic 4k - largemouth bass/UL duty salt (crazy light overall combo weight)

Above breakdown is not to suggest Stradic 5k or even 4k is not a good match for targeting striper/blue, this is just what I do.

This could be the thread that covers it all !

for me i bought an Abu 9’ telescopic rod in the mid 80’s , did it all i required from trout to light surf.

eventually the tip section gave up the ghost.

wish I’d had the folding at the time to buy a spare rod As that’ll probably still be going.

put a Penn spinfisher 4400ss on it at the time.