panafly

T 14

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Never followed formulas of Blanton or Bulldog1935 but they could work. Never know until you try.  Made mini heads with lead core in the leader described by George Harvey in Fly Fisherman page 29 “Mini  Shooting Tapers” July 1984 Volume 15, Number five. If you know how to search Google Books you might find the reference there. Incorporated into the leader these were hard to cast, especially long ones, iand frequently dumped but I am no George Harvey.

9 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Killie they are totally knotted. He was looking for a sink tip. Unless your 27 foot head is the new way to go. The new short.:howdy:

oly

Mike, Actually 27ft to 28ft sinking head lines (and similarly short heads) are nothing new.  Google Cortland Specialty Sink Type 9 (28ft head and very heavy sink material used in the taper).  Also there are even shorter sinking head lines made by other manufacturers (Jim Teeny T series lines use a 24ft head).  Wulff has offered Bermuda Short tropical lines that have shorter heads than the 30ft Outbounds.  And OPST Skagit heads, used for single hand spey are even shorter than the Wulff lines and heads.  I don't recommend using straight T-14 but it can be done and the usual recommendation is for cut to length from 30ft Rio Custom Cut sinking heads are ideal for this).  Most people cut back to ~27 or 28ft.  The usual reasons why this is done are to get down deep with heavily weighted flies.  That's what the Dan Blanton website describes and it isn't a new thing at all.

Edited by Killiefish

On 9/15/2021 at 1:25 PM, Killiefish said:

Mike, Actually 27ft to 28ft sinking head lines (and similarly short heads) are nothing new.  Google Cortland Specialty Sink Type 9 (28ft head and very heavy sink material used in the taper).  Also there are even shorter sinking head lines made by other manufacturers (Jim Teeny T series lines use a 24ft head).  Wulff has offered Bermuda Short tropical lines that have shorter heads than the 30ft Outbounds.  And OPST Skagit heads, used for single hand spey are even shorter than the Wulff lines and heads.  I don't recommend using straight T-14 but it can be done and the usual recommendation is for cut to length from 30ft Rio Custom Cut sinking heads are ideal for this).  Most people cut back to ~27 or 28ft.  The usual reasons why this is done are to get down deep with heavily weighted flies.  That's what the Dan Blanton website describes and it isn't a new thing at all.

I have been very happy with the cortland line you mentioned. striper fishing from my boat.  Casts well and gets down deep fast. I have and use the Teeny as well. I’m fairly new to this still but what’s the point of using a length of t-14? Why not just use a full sinking line with intermediate running line? Is it just to change the heads easy on one fly line instead of changing reels or spools when conditions change? 

The point is mainly cost (T-material is cheap).  That Cortland Specialty line is almost $100 now, at most reputable outlets.  I agree that an integrated int/sink line is best for getting deep.  Unless you just want to get just a few feet deep, in which case a sinking polyleader at the end of a regular int line (maybe cut a couple feet off the front of an older beat up int line and re-loop).  On an 8wt rod, assuming the rod is already lined appropriately you would not want to add more than around 40-50g to the front.. Maybe T-10 (5ft), or T-11 (4 ft).  That would work as well, just won't get real deep.

Old formula I’ve used that I got off Blanton’s site years ago that has worked well for me.

10 wt - 30’

9 wt - 29’

8 wt - 28’

Not all rods are equal. I’d start with 30’ and cut it back a foot at a time until you dialed in.

SF

I use short lengths of T-14 straight off mono running line with 9/10 wts to fish deep slots.  Heads as short as 22’ are ok, dump a bit, but anything shorter than 22’ really (really) dumps. These are more about depth than distance and best off a boat or standing at a drop-off.  As others suggested you might want to try T-11 around 27’ long, direct off running line, if needing a bit of distance.