panafly

T 14

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Looking for some input on using T 14. Do most people just attach it to the end of their line? What length would be manageable for a 8wt? work well with floating line? 

An 8wt is 220 grains, so 15’ gets you to that number. I’d say buy 20’ and cut back until your comfortable with it. 

I haven’t used the stuff ins long time but that’s what I did in the past. I never really paid attention to what the final length was. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The grain window for an 8wt shooting head will be around 300 gn, although could be a bit heavier. 22 feet of t-14 would be 308 grains. I have used very short heads like this that I cut from old lines, but they dump and casting is like throwing a football. You'll want to have a goodish bit of running line outside the guides. Not much fun.

Note that an outbound short head for an 8wt is 315 grains at 30 feet, which is a better length. So t-11 is probably better for constructing an 8wt shooting head.

A 10 wt would be better for throwing t-14. The cost savings of level t over a shooting head is not great, either, if I recall. 

Edit: I didn't pay attention to the OP, who was obviously just looking for a sink tip/polyleader. I am a dumbass. Yes, lighter/thinner polyleaders like those made by OPST etc. are probably better.

Edited by Sngl2th

You'd be better off just buying a versa tip or poly leader if you're just using it for short drifts. If you're looking for the full density compensated experience, I'd go with an OBS shooting head. They're tapered, convenient, and not quite as soft as T-11. They do have a larger diameter, and the drag coefficient will cost you a little depth. Running lines and rigging are where it gets tricky. 

Early on I played around mini tips of T14 with whipped loops. They were 6 to 12 feet lengths that I attached to the end of my fly line. I had used them successfully in freshwater lakes to get down deep to big trout. At the time I was targeting bottom feeding fish in saltwater from the beach; summer fluke, stripers, etc. The system worked, but as mentioned you have to watch the weight of the line. 10 feet of T14 is heavy and will change the action of your gear dramatically. 

After playing around with those mini heads for a while I switched over to a full sinking line on an extra reel and never looked back. It's just easier IMHO and less knots/line connections in the system. 

Good luck, let us know how you make out. 

T14 is bit much for an 8wt IMO.  To load an 8wt you are talking 275 to 300 grains. At 14 grains/foot that's 21.4ft for 300grains and 19.6ft for 275grains - neither are very practical lengths for a whole shooting head. 30ft is the standard shooting head length which with t14 will be 420grains - a 10 to 11wt territory.

I would get T11 instead - 27ft head is 297grains - if you only have an 8wt.

OR get a decent 300grain integrated shooting head line and save yourself a bunch of time and effort.

UPDATE: just seen @Sngl2th post - ignore mine.

Edited by JRT

Shortest/heaviest I'd go with an 8wt single hand rod would be ~27ft of T-11.  For a rather stiff and overpowered 9wt I've used ~27ft of T-14.  This is chuck and duck style with heavy weighted flies.  Wear eye and head protection.

Edited by Killiefish

This is a fun thread. Lots of knickers in a twist. No 8 wt floating line is not going to work very well with a hunk of T 14 attached. Fly shops should sell motor cycle crash helmets as an accessory.

It will huck all over the place.

How deep down do you want to go.

mike

What do you want to accomplish with a T14 head? Much too heavy to add to an 8wt floater. If you're just looking to get down a few feet buy a few polyleaders and cut to different lengths and experiment until you find one that doesn't hinder your cast and meets your needs. 

If looking for full sink depth or wind cutting performance an integrated line from Cortland or SA...generally you can easily go up 10% in head weight over your floater once you learn to cast it properly. Maybe 30ft of T11 attached to a shooting line, you can trim it back a foot at a time until your rod loads properly. Unless you get familiar with it Level T won't cast as smoothly as an integrated full sink with some taper to it.