California Tuna tournament disqualification

Rate this topic

foxfai

Saw this popped up on my fishing feed. Anyone know the detail of the disqualified party information of what happened? No need name or anything, just seeking about what happened.

EDIT:

Got some more info from the feed as people were talking about it.

Apparently the boat broke down and they radioed in to spoke with "someone" (pro-staffer) and authorized to move the fish to a car to be delivered. Then later on got complained about this and disqualified the fish. 

Still missing the whole story about why/what really happened. 

241982803_10162434937794852_3875387819670478545_n.jpg

Edited by foxfai

Lol, couldn’t find anything more specific, but the rules state that the fish may not leave the registered vessel until weighin. So I am assuming they ported the vessel in a different marina than the weigh in station and threw the fish in a vehicle and drove to the weighin. 

Edited by Fishjerk

Got some more info from the feed as people were talking about it.

Apparently the boat broke down and they radioed in to spoke with "someone" (pro-staffer) and authorized to move the fish to a car to be delivered. Then later on got complained about this and disqualified the fish. 

Still missing the whole story about why/what really happened. 

Evan Salvay and crew on the Stella June bagged a big fish. They later blew a motor in crap weather. Evan asked Colin, the tournament director, if they could make the run to a closer port up North and drive the fish to San Diego.

Colin gave permission to do so. Stella June docked, crew stayed behind to take care of the boat, and Evan drove the fish to SD where it beat all the other fish at the weigh-in.

The problem is the rules state you can not do this. The team must be present and the fish may not be removed from vessel until arrival at the official weigh-in. Colin screwed up and bent the rules. Controversy arose at the weigh-in. Suspicion of cheating was brought up quick. What made it worse is Evan happens to be on the Pro Team for Pelagic and of course the accusations of special treatment were brought up.

This was immediately protested. Pelagic is now in damage control. Stella June's fish has been DQ'd and the prize money has been awarded to the runner ups. This was the right decision IMHO, rules are rules. Everyone signs the waiver.

Of course Evan claims he's being thrown under the bus, which is understandable. Evan's argument is he got permission from Colin. His request came from a safety standpoint because it was snotty weather and a longer run to San Diego. He also has pics and footage of everything. The fish weighed-in was the fish caught. He wants to go after Pelagic, keep in mind the prize money was in the 6 figure range. But as said earlier, rules are rules, everyone signs the waiver.

That's the meat and potatoes of it. Lots of bashing of Evan. And of course the retaliation back. Total **** show but when money is involved...

It's Calif,what would you expect. It's a crap show out there,I lived in LA in the 60's and it was crazy then,now it's magnitudes worse.

If an official of the tournament said yes it should be sufficient. If anything the fish should have lost weight during the trip to SD. Money makes people do strange things.

2 hours ago, John P said:

It's Calif,what would you expect. It's a crap show out there,I lived in LA in the 60's and it was crazy then,now it's magnitudes worse.

If an official of the tournament said yes it should be sufficient. If anything the fish should have lost weight during the trip to SD. Money makes people do strange things.

Completely agree with the last sentence.  I used to fish tournaments, but stopped as I saw the level of sportsmanship decline as the money increased.  Protests of what were, at best, minor rule infractions became a way for folks with smaller fish to back-door a win (I once had a bigeye protested in a tournament that required all fish to be bled because my bleeding cut wasn't, according to the guy with a fish 3 pounds lighter, exactly where the rules required; the tournament committee disagreed, and denied the protest, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth).

On the other hand, I agree with the outcome here.  The written rules of the event were clear.  Such rules are generally established by a tournament committee, and one person, acting on his own, has no authority to override the committee decision.  In all\ tournaments that I've fished, if your boat breaks down, that's your bad luck, but if another boat stands by to render aid, that boat, if it radios in to apprise the tournament committee of the issue, is usually allowed to weigh in after the scales had otherwise closed, in order to encourage boats to render assistance to disabled vessels.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams