rathrbefishn

Mac laptop advice- looking to buy

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

So I've been a PC user since long before most folks used a PC.  I've dabbled with Mac's off and on over the years through work, but never pulled the trigger on a home purchase.  I can appreciate the attractiveness of the user interface /ease of use, but have always been a Windows ( OK DOS when I strated ) user at work so kept it that way at home.  My wife is about as tech unsavy as you can get- she claims she was born in the wrong century.  We moved her from an Android to I-phone , to an IPad and I scored huge when I got her a top of the line Apple Watch last Christmas.  She now wants a laptop - tired of sharing one with me and she's gto of of those new Cricut machines that works better on a laptop than an Ipad.  So that means we are in the Mac laptop market - or will be for Christmas.  I have no clue what model she needs

1) Is the base Airbook sufficient for a very non power user?  Any specific recommendations?

2) Does Apple run sale- eg like Black Friday?  I know chips are in short supply this year, so don't even know where the prices are heading.

Thanks fro any thoughts.....and no, getting her to use a Windows box is not an option.

My regular day to day laptop is a MacBook Pro 17 inches. I bought it an five years ago. I use for almost everything except for some periferals like printers and scanners. But I also have a windows desktop that I only use for the perifalerfs. <sp>. 

sales and markups vary somewhat based on the dealers. Check out dealers on eBay.

apple really doesn't run too many sales that i can think of. in fact, probably none. they do sometimes lower the price on certain models, but thats usually just before they phase those models out for whatever reason. sometimes you can find an incentive on buying a mac through costco, but again probably the models that will be phased out soon.

i don't know exactly what those cricut things are or how they work, but you may want to make sure any software it needs is available mac os. i'd also pay attention to what the software requires too, but the macbook air base model is probably more than sufficient for non-power users.

If you have Costco membership they run some pretty good sales

Be careful of hard drive size, some models are ridiculously small 

macbook air will be fine unless you are getting into heavy graphics or video

Just bought one last week for my daughter, they are running a student special, $100 off and a free pair of airpods ($159).  Tell them its for your kid.

I don't think it goes on much longer

1 hour ago, makorider said:

Then get one of these from amazon so you can actually use the ****ing thing

712oe2cxyZL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Same thing with a MS Surface Pro I have...a docking port is necessary sometimes.

Been pricing the Macbook Air (M1 chip/256G memory) and picked one up for $849.00 at Costco over the weekend. Came with an extended 2nd year warranty through Costco, not exactly sure how that works or if it's really worth anything. This was the  best deal I could find as Apple sales/specials seem to have ended past few days.

According to the WSJ, all MacBooks currently ship with MacOS Big Sur (11), but the next version, Monterey, will be a free upgrade this fall to all currently on-sale systems.

However, if you wish to avoid upgrading if you make the purchase now, you might want to consider waiting until this fall and purchase your Air or Pro already upgraded with MacOS Monterey.  

I'd stay with a PC, you will pay almost twice as much more for similar performance. just because its apple and its own IOS, many of its own programs are the same on PCs. Like MS office. Apple products are not less susceptible to virus, malware etc than PCs. This wasn't always the case but it has been for the last 10 years.  Proprietary cords, connections and protocols are another Apple complaint.

There is now an industry term called "apple Tax" it means you will pay more for everything apple, only because it's apple and people continue to buy it because they are forced to buy apple.  A simple usb "c" 3.0 adapter to HDMI can be 55-$75......One that will work for a PC can be $14.95 by various manufactuers

Buy a PC or Apple

Buy an extended warrentee/applecare exspecially if you are rough on things or wish to transfer over data and photos from your previous PC. 

Heavily invest is 3rd party software such as webroot, avoid if you can Norton or Kespersky anti virus software. Once you install these, they have hooks in everything , difficult to remove and they make the computer run slower.

Buy an Apple if you 100% on board and invested in the Phone, watch, appleTV etc

Best place to buy in my opinion for apple and PCs is Costco

11 hours ago, ted527 said:

If you have Costco membership they run some pretty good sales

Be careful of hard drive size, some models are ridiculously small 

my first Mac was 1.2 gigs  lol

Gents,

Thanks for all the thoughts. While a PC may make a lot of sense, it will be a Mac for her-  Happy wife, Happy Life.  The Costco warranty reminder is a good one-  huge Costco fan and from what I have seen previously, the prices fro Apple products are usually the same almost everywhere.  Good to know that the base model will meet her needs.

FYI, the Cricut I mentioned is essentially a computer controlled cutting system for cutting out labels, paper, etc. We will see how much use it gets, but hopefully it's a good outlet for her-  She works hard an doesn't spend much time on hobbies

As an aside, I mentioned I bought my eldest daughter a new MacBook right before she left for college.

Like everything else, I get the hand me downs and have her 4 year old MacBook Pro now (up until now, I was using their 10 (?) year old chrome books...had one here, one at the beach.

So, I am finding EVERYTHING apple talks to each other.  For whatever reason, my now 15 year old had her iphone synched under the 'parents' user.  Synched and up to date.

I was up until 2am last night looking through all her texts.  Seems as though EVERYTHING is there...pics, vids, you name it

Some things I've learned

-Has not kissed a boy yet, but she and her friend group think Heath Ledger is to die for

-Somehow her sister is regularly buying her alcohol.  I'd love to know how, she just turned 18

-She took a 6 pack of bud cans, a half a bottle of some sweet crap that my other daughter left in the beach freezer after prom, and 8 white claws and sold it to some kid who was on the island for $55.  I always knew this kid was smart and ruthless...I suspect she took him for every dollar in his pocket...I don't know, maybe I should be thinking about a joint venture next summer if I can fully seperate myself lol

-I found out that her one friend (and this girl DOES NOT look 15 if you know what I'm saying) loves to give blow jobs and went into pretty explicit detail telling the other innocents all about all of it.

Couple more hours to go at least there...only got through a few threads