curran

Kayak Safety

31 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I was wondering how safe it would be to take a freshwater sit-in kayak out into the ocean. 

I have a kayak that looks like this: Best fishing kayak under £400 » Human Powered Vehicles

I plan on wearing a life jacket, and not going more than half a mile offshore. 

So, has anyone done something like this? If so any tips? How would I launch, and what should I wear

I want to get out onto the ocean and do some jigging for mackerel 

Alternatively, If I am a fool, please don't hesitate to let me know. I want to be safe, but have no clue how safe or not this is. 

58 mins ago, curran said:

I want to get out onto the ocean and do some jigging for mackerel 

They will be a little smaller so you will be ok. Lol.  Research some of the salt kayak guys on SOL to learn about being safe in the ocean. Radio, proper clothing, navigation, etc. The Riddler above has it all figured out. I love fishing the salt in my yak but at 74 years old I now wait for days that my son can join me.

I wouldn't take a small sit in kayak into the ocean.

I certainly wouldn't go a half mile offshore.

Get caught in a little current and its much harder to get back if wind or a sudden thunderstorm comes up.

if you get swamped in an open kayak and the ocean chop keeps coming in over the sides you'll wish you never went out.

8 hours ago, charliestriper said:

I wouldn't take a small sit in kayak into the ocean.

I certainly wouldn't go a half mile offshore.

Get caught in a little current and its much harder to get back if wind or a sudden thunderstorm comes up.

if you get swamped in an open kayak and the ocean chop keeps coming in over the sides you'll wish you never went out.

Thanks for the reply and advice, 

I have considered what you have said and changed my mind.

• I wouldn't go more than 750 ft offshore.
  •  
  • I plan on bringing a pump
  •  
  • Ill check the wind, and if its more than 10mph ill skip out.

Considering these things, would you think it would be safer?

9 hours ago, Dieseldog13 said:

They will be a little smaller so you will be ok. Lol.  Research some of the salt kayak guys on SOL to learn about being safe in the ocean. Radio, proper clothing, navigation, etc. The Riddler above has it all figured out. I love fishing the salt in my yak but at 74 years old I now wait for days that my son can join me.

Thanks for the advice, radio is a good idea. Ill take a peek at the clothes and other gear they bring.

1 hour ago, curran said:

Wow. Modern day Old man and the Sea.

My point was people have safely fished from a traditional or sit in kayak forever. Some have done the extreme.  You have to remember here, 99.99999 percent of the kayakers fish from a sit on top kayak and never experienced a sit in. I fished from a sit in kayak to see what it was like. I prefer a sit on top but enjoyed sit in performance. Especially during the winter.

5 hours ago, curran said:

Thanks for the reply and advice, 

I have considered what you have said and changed my mind.

• I wouldn't go more than 750 ft offshore.
  •  
  • I plan on bringing a pump
  •  
  • Ill check the wind, and if its more than 10mph ill skip out.

Considering these things, would you think it would be safer?

Sounds like a better plan.

Also consider swamping yourself on purpose in shallow water in a lake or protected bay and have practice pumping water out and climbing back into the kayak.

jigging for mackerel .... they run close to shore on the Cape. 

If you run into other kayakers you may feel safer venturing out a little more.

never forget drinks

Try it out in calm conditions and work your up (SLOWLY) to more wind and chop to see what it can take.  A lot depends on the stability of the hull.  Look at the manufacturer's recommendation for ocean use. 

I take great comfort in wearing a USCG Type I commercial offshore life jacket.  It's nearly impossible to drown in one of those.  A VHF to call for help and a phone in a waterproof bag that allows you to use it w/out taking it out of the bag.  

Everyone I met who flipped a kayak while fishing did so while moving their center of gravity.  Add a boat wake or unobserved wave and you will flip.  If you feel you might flip without those things, the kayak isn't built for the ocean. 

9 hours ago, curran said:

Wow. Modern day Old man and the Sea.

Lamoureux says that he feels safe and describes what he does as measured risk. He obsessively monitors the weather and sea conditions, and brings in the kayak a full suite of safety gear including a GPS, VHF radio, cell phone, compass, fog horn, emergency knives, a lifejacket, flares, whistle, mirror and a set of dive fins—in case he has to swim to shore. “I don’t ever want to rely on anyone to rescue me,” says Lamoureux. “That would be irresponsible.”   

Two things....make sure you have a paddle leash.

....and hopefully you have a pump.

Every kayak should have one..... especially a sit in.

Get a VHF radio for safety.

Bring a friend until you get enough confidence to play solo.

Have fun in the salt dude. Fly   

22 hours ago, The Riddler said:

My point was people have safely fished from a traditional or sit in kayak forever. Some have done the extreme.  You have to remember here, 99.99999 percent of the kayakers fish from a sit on top kayak and never experienced a sit in. I fished from a sit in kayak to see what it was like. I prefer a sit on top but enjoyed sit in performance. Especially during the winter.

Riddler is pretty spot on with his post. My buddy used an old town sit in for 2 yrs before going to a SOT kayak.

Go with a buddy if you can, especially seeing as its your first trip to salt. Sit in can swamp, be careful. Keep your phone handy in a waterproof case or buy a VHF radio, the peace of mind is worth the expense. Let someone know EXACLTY where you are going, check conditions, wind, tide, and current. 

All good advice. You can also stick some pool noodles, foam or an inflatable cushion in the bow for added safety. I used a 12' Pungo SIK for years - great kayak, could carry it on one shoulder. But not all SIKs are seaworthy.