Sandflee

LED lumens/watts etc…

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Long story short house upstate has like 1990 Halogen 300 watt flood lights what would replace this in LED but be about the same brightness?

E9DF04E1-4772-494F-BA8A-9DFBD44E6BDC.jpeg

F72F6625-3864-4D1D-A999-025E3538DE4F.jpeg

Color wise you’d be looking at a 5k value of color. The larger the k value the whiter the light. This would be a close color match. 

If you wanted a more yellow color, you’d have to go down to 3500. 

Wattage wise, if this was me I’d order a few different wattage sizes from amazon and just try them out, return what you don’t like. 

Before you replace mark out the cast of light you currently have, what’s the spread and depth of light. Now you’ll have a constant to compare to the new. 

You said it in your header, compare lumens, not watts.  At this point watts just confuse people, and makers even lie. I bought a 45W grow lamp for my garden starts, and it was really 10W. Nowhere did it say '45W equivalent".  The harder match is beam spread, I'd just get "flood" unless you're getting fancy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

there are many brands to choose from, but remember you get what you pay for.  rab has a good replacement warranty versus other companies.

you can find a local dealer near you or i could have them shipped with no freight charge if needed if you find something you like.

yes 5000k is the brightest but led lights do not project as good as those 300 or 500 watt halogens

shoot me a pm of you need more help.

the rab x34-55l  will work.

rab2.jpg

Edited by coolhandfluke

17 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

5000k is the brightest but led lights do not project as good as those 300 or 500 watt halogens

rab2.jpg

which is why i may just keep them, not like they are on all the time

however the Shed has a sodium light which i may replace, the 10 minutes of buzzing is annoying

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

that also comes in led.  i would put up a led dusk to dawn fixture for about 150.00     burns no electricity to worry about.

Edited by coolhandfluke

18 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

led lights do not project as good as those 300 or 500 watt halogens

And why is this?.. I've often wondered, but really haven't researched why....

Butxh

18 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

led lights do not project as good as those 300 or 500 watt halogens

As I said, you gotta look at the beam spread specs and decide what's best for you. Real LED spots project just fine, but floods sometimes have no reflector at all, just flat LEDs on the surface of the PAR shape. Adding more fixtures and bulbs with tighter beam spread might actually improve coverage.

I may just stick with the halogens for now, they really do cast a nice amount of light. this shot is about 150ft from the shed

IMG_0626.jpg