Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 13 - Sept 20

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation and much success.  Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth it getting off the couch.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel with the ever changing fishing conditions we have today. 

Fishermen are finally get back the beaches, access points, and parking, but nature is not cooperating with high wind and large ground swells.

It's almost impossible and dangerous to fish most rock locations with a rising tide and wind in your face. 

Maybe after Monday we get a break while the sea reseeds. It hasn't been fish friendly at all this September.

Hopeful the hard tails will make a bigger push this week.

The wind and waves can let up anytime now. Kayak just going along for the ride these days, doesn't leave the roof rack.  Surfers are having a great year. 

Assuming the mullet run has started or will be soon, any word?

What's an albie? 

To bad about the fishermen last weekend. RIP

Vacation next week, hopefully I timed it right.

Another quiet night. Only thing active was the ear wigs all over the rocks.    Been looking for mullet.  Seen a few pods in an area salt pond but nothing on the ocean front so far.  

Place was packed last night w people fishing the same water from all angles, clearly someone blabbed about a decent bite the previous week.  Its comical because i had been fishing alone many previous trips in the same spot, love how many folks dont put their time in and just wait for someone to report its time to fish.  :banghd:  Certainly made fishing more challenging, and bite was very area specific so had to wait till tide moved out for fish to spread out a bit.  Got bass to slot, big blues, and large shad but had to work for them.  Saw an upper limit slot and an over caught, but it just wasnt my night to be one of the lucky guys. More hits then fish landed, just as the bite started to pick up again had a huge knot dug into spool and did not have the energy to try and fix last pm.  

Observation - water is cooler then it was pre storms last week, and the mass of bait that was fueling the area is GONE.  Usually bait all over this spots and it was very sporadic last pm.  Not sure if it is a permanent move out or just pushed out temporarily by storm.

We need some fresh albie reports (im ready to make some up), so that guys go back to focusing on them and leave the night bass spots alone.

Went for a drive last night on an island just to see if anything looked fishy. Apparently I wasnt the only one as it was shoulder to shoulder out on a popular rocky area. Four bottom fisherman and a guy throwing plugs in a pretty small area. I think the bottom fisherman were into scup but they didnt seem very successful. Threw plugs for a while but didnt have a nibble. Water was pretty low, there wasnt any white water, and the moon was pretty bright with sporadic cloud cover. Gave up after an hour and didnt notice anyone else have any success. Guess I should stick to checking it after 3 am but that does seem to have me neglecting work....

Dismal morning outside the Harbor of Refuge Wednesday. 

Fished from 6:30 to 12:00 noon.

Tide switch at 9:17 on the incoming.

Waves really not bad. Water dirty in some places.

Didn't expect these results - four chub mackerel and a dozen black sea bass of all sizes, but mostly small around the walls.

Not a sign of a stripers, bluefish, or hardtails. No boats hooked up except for sea bass.

No signs of birds or bait. Boats cover as far north as Black Point, as far west as Charlestown.

No matter where you went, it was like a ghost town.

5 mins ago, Bwt570 said:

I am only finding fish in a couple specific spots. They arent spread out it seems even though bait seems to be at every spot I've been. 

Bait had been stacked up in a few of my spots, those storms and rain seemed to send it all packing. Hope it fills back in!!

8 hours ago, Kooky said:

Place was packed last night w people fishing the same water from all angles, clearly someone blabbed about a decent bite the previous week.  Its comical because i had been fishing alone many previous trips in the same spot, love how many folks dont put their time in and just wait for someone to report its time to fish.  :banghd: 

That sucks man. While it's never good to blab up a bite.. it's one thing if a spot can physically support an influx of report chasers... and another if a spot is relatively tight with minimal real estate for casting positions. 

9 hours ago, Kooky said:

We need some fresh albie reports (im ready to make some up), so that guys go back to focusing on them and leave the night bass spots alone.

Hahaha. Here, lemme help you with that

"Hardtail bonanza on the wall! Hitting anything that moves! One guy clipped on an empty soda can and double digit heavies fought each other to inhale it!"

Got the dreaded skunk today. Bait more sporadic and less dense. Saw something small busting on it but couldn’t tell what it was and didn’t want any of my offerings. Peanut bunker are gone and seem to have been replaced by silversides. 

13 hours ago, juan29 said:

I know there is still plenty of fish around, but really believe the migration has been beginning a little earlier in late August and early September. Just my 2cents. Any thoughts?

Season is over everyone should quit. Time for hunting right? Heard theres a big whitetail push this year... and turkeys hitting anything!

13 hours ago, juan29 said:

I know there is still plenty of fish around, but really believe the migration has been beginning a little earlier in late August and early September. Just my 2cents. Any thoughts?

This is not a new pattern, but with a smaller bio mass it is becoming more clear.  The pockets of fish are getting smaller so it is more identifiable when those waves come through and there is empty water between migrating schools.