WindAndWater

Prices For Hard To Get Plugs And Rationality

Rate this topic

178 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, CaryGreene said:

Regarding Mike's Classic Custom plugs, After Hours and many of my other favorite custom builder's work, I'm very happy that they can get paid a fair price for all of the labor and detail and quality that they put into their plugs.

If some people think they're too expensive then they can fish other methods which fit their means.

There is no doubt that the right tool for the right job can be pricey at times and there may be other ways to cut corners if cutting corners is the objective. 

Personally, I have no problem with the concept of supply and demand and trust, I've smashed fish for more decades than I even want to admit at this point and though prices weren't always the same, as I became more experienced and I started to appreciate worksmanship and craftsmanship, those things came into play. I also bought a few spools of very heavy fluorocarbon because breaking off a fancy plug is not what we're looking to do. 

My knots & connections are tested andr eligiously maintained, by moi, and if I'm throwing an expensive plug, I definitely bump my leader up. 

That said I have much respect for those that "make do" or for those that just prefer to fish less expensive tackle. 

My feeling is just a personal feeling. How much room do you have in your plug bag? Can you carry a dozen plugs, if that many? Most guys who travel light might only be able to carry half a dozen plugs. And what? Back in the truck there might be another dozen or maybe half a dozen? 

The one thing we could probably all agree on is that the few items that you do carry better work.

Personally, I can't think of an expensive plug that I own that doesn't work really well. I am old enough to have probably bought that plug at a much lesser price than they're going for these days.

I salute Mike and all of the other custom plug builders out there who are doing great stuff. If it wasn't for you guys I would have half the fish that I've caught in my lifetime. 

For anyone that doesn't like to pay a high premium for a perfectly made plug I would suggest learning how to make them yourselves.

Lure making is a blast and it's a lifetime passion and, if you do this and start selling your plugs commercially even on a small scale, one day you will want to get rewarded for the time and the effort and the perfection that you put into your craft.

So, before we diss how much a certain plug costs perhaps we should think about what it took for that plug builder to get where they are today? Certainly they are not cutting any corners my friends.

Think about it. If I were a custom plug builder and I was working my normal job and making over x amount per hour, for me to use my free time to make a plug, for you, so you could buy it, how much would that be worth? Well. It will be worth as much as was a fair price for me to do a favor for you. 

Otherwise, go buy a plastic tsunami and knock yourself out.

(As you guys can tell, I am not a collector. Plugs are fishing lures to me)

Found this interesting seen your posts before know your an experienced fisherman. One thing I was surprised about is what you said about bumping up your leader to avoid losing a plug. Some plugs that won’t affect it’s action others it will greatly effect the plugs action. 

21 hours ago, z-man said:

$400 for a new fishing lure? People are idiots. What did that plug originally sell for? $40?

Edit: Actually $39

4890BE34-8FE1-4DAB-8278-8FD5C09F33EE.png

People who collect plugs are now idiots?  I think most of these guys acquired the plug for a lot less than they are currently selling it. And who's to say that plugs value won't double in value in the next decade? It will maybe it won't but I'd hardly call anyone who buys a collectible item and idiot. Most collectors do very well. You should get a filter. 

Most knowledgeable surf fisherman don't pay anywhere near that price for a plug that they're going to fish the heck out of. Most guys buy direct but you're talking about a world most fishermen don't operate in.

Collector's often have vast resources and keen insight into how to turn a profit. I know a guy who makes a triple digit salary buying antique toy choo choo trains and other antique toys at yard sales and occasional estate auctions. 

Don't forget this thread started with the op inquiring about why a price was so high on eBay. He clearly demonstrated he was trying to acquire a plug that he planned to fish with but he was going about it the wrong way.

The next logical question was do these plugs work? Then we got a lesson on metal jig heads and Tsunami talking poppers.

50 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

Why is that Z-Man?

Because it’s a lie. There’s no way you are catching 5000 fish on a single lure. How many casts is that? You never once had a reel or line failure? Never had a knot failure Never once have been bit off by a bluefish? Never had a fish break you off on a rock? I guess you are just a perfect individual. 

edit: post a picture of one of these baits that have caught thousands of fish. They must be worn down to bare wood. 

Edited by z-man

19 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

People who collect plugs are now idiots?  I think most of these guys acquired the plug for a lot less than they are currently selling it. And who's to say that plugs value won't double in value in the next decade? It will maybe it won't but I'd hardly call anyone who buys a collectible item and idiot. Most collectors do very well. You should get a filter. 

Most knowledgeable surf fisherman don't pay anywhere near that price for a plug that they're going to fish the heck out of. Most guys buy direct but you're talking about a world most fishermen don't operate in.

Collector's often have vast resources and keen insight into how to turn a profit. I know a guy who makes a triple digit salary buying antique toy choo choo trains and other antique toys at yard sales and occasional estate auctions. 

Don't forget this thread started with the op inquiring about why a price was so high on eBay. He clearly demonstrated he was trying to acquire a plug that he planned to fish with but he was going about it the wrong way.

The next logical question was do these plugs work? Then we got a lesson on metal jig heads and Tsunami talking poppers.

I’ll say it again. If you pay $400 for plug that costs $39 then you are an idiot. Nothing more needs to be said. 

12 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

Dave, you are now making this thread what you think it should become. Lou read what he read & responded accordingly. 

Eggxactly

1 min ago, z-man said:

Because it’s a lie. There’s no way you are catching 5000 fish on a single lure. How many casts is that? You never once had a reel or line failure? Never had a knot failure Never once have been bit off by a bluefish? Never had a fish break you off on a rock? I guess you are just a perfect individual. 

I lost so many custom lures this year.

It hurts, but i will make more.

I have some needles that are shredded. Cant repaint,  it wipes mojo off.

I was tossin a black and gold needle i made last year from last year to now.

I epoxy seal and also put 2 coats of epoxy on .   Its gouged and hook drag.

anyway  it has not got to wood yet.

This is the whole point of testing and tuning lures you make where you fish.

I always loose the best plugs that have stories to tell. 

People building lures will have there fanboys , we all do.

So the price of a plug being sold is up to who wants it.

On that pencle popper id never pay that,  there the easiest plug to make

One of the best pencles is gibbs and i love the smaller one,  i also like guppies and my own.

Its you're cash, spend it how you want.   I buy fixters and beachmasters

We are all the same.

Stop the ****ing bickering and go fish

27 mins ago, sandbars said:

Found this interesting seen your posts before know your an experienced fisherman. One thing I was surprised about is what you said about bumping up your leader to avoid losing a plug. Some plugs that won’t affect it’s action others it will greatly effect the plugs action. 

Thank you sandbars. Know that experienced people realize how much more there is still to experience and therefore often view themselves as simply put - still learning. 

Most experienced surf fisherman don't pay exorbitant prices for lures, the off shore crowd aside. Granted, some do, but most don't because we know we can buy direct from the builder. Shopping on eBay for plugs that are collectors items would not be the way to acquire a plug from a top notch builder.

Therefore when we break down your question we could look inside any experienced surf fisherman's plug bag and we would probably find a plug or two that are pretty much beloved to them.

We often don't have a ton of room to carry a million plugs so bags are filled with a limited number of items and there may be a couple very nice plugs that we could cite as examples in almost any solid fisherman's bag. 

Let's take my plug bag right now as an example. I wore a belt last night with one tube and one bucktails and tins pouch. In the tube I have rectangular downspout and I can hold up to six plugs, depending on their size.

I rode the fat tire bike and I had my usual two rods and one fly rod. I keep the fly rod broken down in a PVC tube rod holder that I built and attached to the bike. And the other two rods are also broken down. One is for larger plugs 3 oz and up and the other is for everything else. Both rods are set up with conventional reels. I also have a smaller two piece 8 and 1/2 ft rod, which is broken down and in a tube and the reel is in the bikes frame bag. This rod would be for smaller lures and honestly mostly for Albies.

We had overcast skies last night so heavy leaders came out without even thinking about it. 50 lb mono. That one on the heavier rod which I mostly fished the larger plugs with.

I could fish any of the larger plugs confidently. At first light I had some busting fish and in order to reach them I needed a pencil. I chose an all white Left Hook. 

The plug is $25 and to me that's very expensive. I wasn't going to have a blue fish saw it off and since it would be moving fast and slashing all over the surface, in the midst of busting fish, the heaviness of the leader didn't matter. I used the 3/4 to 3 oz 10.5' rod, which would be my standard surf rod and I set it up with 30lb Fluorocarbon. 

The chances of that being cut through by a blue fish is very slim but it could happen. After each fish landed I checked the leader and never even replaced it. 

I lingered a while and switched over to Tins on the same rod. I dropped the popper leader & went to a 30' Fluorocarbon leader, 15#. Landed 4 more Stripers, went home.

Tins are also expensive, &8.99 each. I'm definitely not looking to lose one of them but I'll fish a lighter leader no problem with a less expensive lure.

11 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

Okay, well I haven't followed your comments in context in this thread.  I've always thought Lou's opinions to be super and so perhaps my comments are unwarranted. However, this thread has opened some eyes for sure. I'm sure Lou will offer his thoughts on your comment at some point. No disrespect intended to you btw Dave. As a moderator if this site, I'll always be appreciative of the thankless job you do. 

24 mins ago, Lou T said:

Eggxactly

Everyone has the right to post their opinion and post whatever they want.  There is no limit to that, of course.  However, when someone quotes and cuts and pastes they have some obligation to read all comments and not take things out of context.  That's pretty simple.  If you guys want to take the time to advertise Mike's plugs, that's great.  That's what OP wanted...to know how good they are and why they are worth high dollar values.  If you are going to address the readers then that's fine.  When you cut and paste and address one person with quotes you should have some measure of context because nothing that was cut and pasted and responded to was what I said.

27 mins ago, DaveC said:

5000 fish on one wooden plug and it wasn't rewired or refinished?  

Never, not one single time. It has had it's hooks replaced a number of times. Tiny pin marks all over it but in surprisingly great shape. Rinsed after every single outing & usually dried in sunlight on a cloth towel. After Hours plug. Single rear hook mount. 3+" long, bone white with red eyes. Rascal Jr. 

3 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

Never, not one single time. It has had it's hooks replaced a number of times. Tiny pin marks all over it but in surprisingly great shape. Rinsed after every single outing & usually dried in sunlight on a cloth towel. After Hours plug. Single rear hook mount. 3+" long, bone white with red eyes. Rascal Jr. 

:eek:

59 mins ago, bassmaster said:

I lost so many custom lures this year.

It hurts, but i will make more.

I have some needles that are shredded. Cant repaint,  it wipes mojo off.

I was tossin a black and gold needle i made last year from last year to now.

I epoxy seal and also put 2 coats of epoxy on .   Its gouged and hook drag.

anyway  it has not got to wood yet.

This is the whole point of testing and tuning lures you make where you fish.

I always loose the best plugs that have stories to tell. 

People building lures will have there fanboys , we all do.

So the price of a plug being sold is up to who wants it.

On that pencle popper id never pay that,  there the easiest plug to make

One of the best pencles is gibbs and i love the smaller one,  i also like guppies and my own.

Its you're cash, spend it how you want.   I buy fixters and beachmasters

We are all the same.

Stop the ****ing bickering and go fish

Nicely stated!

Guess the pump and dump scheme failed or all bidders miraculously disappeared. Same listing as yesterdays now looks like this.

Buyer beware and don't believe everything you see on the internet !!

Ditch Witch.PNG

2 hours ago, z-man said:

edit: post a picture of one of these baits that have caught thousands of fish. They must be worn down to bare wood. 

It's a lie?? Really? "Busting my balls for fun again? At this point, you're just a heckler z-man. You have no idea how this plug has been used or maintained. It's taken at least 3,500 bluefish. Its rigged up on a boat rod all season long. From the mouth of the CT River to Fisher's Island to Great Gull and Little Gull to Watch Hill to Block Island to Plum Gut and Montauk. 

Water changes direction and with every moving tide their are feeding fish and Bird Squalls. I know my spots. I know my tides. I'm set up and ready to go. I can move fast from one spot to another and find 5 or 6 great opportunities almost every time I fish via the boat. I fish at least 100 days a season on the boat, usually quite a bit more. I also fish from shore at night and at first light, another 100 days or more (easily) every season. 

A normal day by boat is 10 to 50 fish, no problem. Do the math. Also, ever heard of 40lb fluorocarbon and Whale Spit? I guess not. I haven't had a knot fail in a really long time and it wasn't the knot's fault. Check your leader after every cast and tie stellar knots and you rarely lose a top water plug. 

If you're fishing sub surface, from shore, and getting hung up - which is pretty much inevitable, then you'll lose plenty of plugs. Anyone will. 

Most Captains in and around the sound have boat rods rigged up with inexpensive but durable top water plugs. They get beat up and are replaced like clockwork. Thier knots rarely fail and they check the client's leader after ever landed fish. Losing a $10 dollar surface lure is unacceptable. They catch thousands of fish a year this way and they spend a couple hundred on cheap surface plugs. They fish other ways too obviously, but blitz rods are rigged up on any good fisherman's boat. No brainer. 

I do the same thing with a few rods & one happens to have a single wooden plug on it that's held up really well. Rinse, dry and maintain a well made plug and it will serve you for as long as you can not lose it. 

If plugs are rusting out - the owner of the plug is not maintaining the plug carefully enough. They may also have saltwater getting into the plug and they are failing to rinse it out then drying properly.  

If a plugs finish is wearing off during a single season, then it's likely due to rocks and bottom structure. Surface plugs can and do last quite a bit longer than subsurface plugs, providing you don't cast them into rocks often. 

Edited by CaryGreene
spelling error