Prices For Hard To Get Plugs And Rationality

Rate this topic

WindAndWater

Edit: This thread went in many different directions. Suggest that you read my comments in post #40 about the bet. That’s really what I meant to ask about in this original post and reading #40 might help clarify that. Really only wanted to talk about the fish catching ability of these plugs. 

Original Post Below:

So against my better judgement, and because my impulses got the best of me, less than two minutes ago, with seconds ticking down, I placed what I thought was an obscene bid for one of Mike’s custom plugs on eBay. I wanted to see what the hype was all about. I thought there was a small chance I might win the plug. And I still got out bid! I’m not really surprised since I’ve seen what his plugs go for on eBay. 

But the thing is.... I probably could have bought like 5 Gibbs metal lips for that one I bid on. And considering all things, and the vagaries involved in working with wood, it almost seems like my odds would maybe have been better at getting one or two really good or even amazing Gibbs plugs by buying five of them as opposed to just one of Mike’s amazing plugs.

Just a thought. What do you think?

Dang. I still sort of wish I’d won that bid! 

Edited by WindAndWater

(*member previously known as 'SoCalStripers')

I know if I buy any plug for any amount of money, I’m definitely throwing it in the saltwater.

I also know there is a high likelihood of a bluefish attacking it.

AND

although less likely then a blue hit. I could potentially air mail that bad by to Connecticut via a bound line on the cast.

Its more a collecting thing i think.

Some of us will use them, but i can say its a very infrequent thing, unless they know their tackle end wont snap and airmail plugs to africa, southpole, or NE states.

Women or some men have their bags and high end brand stuff.

We got nicely paint, turned, handmade plugs. 

A plug is actually more collectable then any rod or reel surprisingly.

Cause is fisherpeople are weirdos.

Tuna poppers can also get very very expensive.

Waste some time and google them. Worth the read.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

Just now, WindAndWater said:

I know. Collectors are driving up the prices of a bunch of stuff. 

5 Gibbs metal lips or one of Mike’s plugs to catch an amazing striper? Which way would you roll? :) 

Neither.  Id throw a $3-5 metal jig. Lol

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

Not for fishing, anything over $25 shouldn't be thrown in the water. In fact other than liking their appearance, they have no value to about 99% of society. 

Skilled folks that build them, and the effort alone makes them worth a $50 bill each, that being said, a  $9 SP Minnow will perform as well or probably better than any custom swimmer, and consistency is never an issue. Availability is usually not a problem but since COVID everything seems to be in short supply except excuses that COVID caused them. 

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

Hype drives the market.

People will pay what they want to buy in to the hype.

There are plenty of plug makers that make fish catchers without the hype or price tag.

There are some I can’t live with out, still will not pay what has been going on for years. Hate that I have some that I will not throw because of what they are worth or because you can’t get them anymore.

Best thing to do is spend some moderate money on alternatives. They are out there and they work.

22 mins ago, Seadogg said:

People caught plenty of fish before all these bullsh*t custom lures that go for an arm and a leg came along. Keep that in mind. 

I don’t understand the expensive plug hype. I catch most of my fish on a 50 cent soft plastic and hook/jig head. Why spend so much on a fancy painted piece of wood? I know some are saying they are buying a piece of art but who displays a fishing lure as art in their home? That’s weird. 

Really good comments. At the same time I’m still wondering. 

Because you know I’ve gotten about 9 or 10 different metal lip swimmers in the last few months. 

I have one amazing Gibbs Danny that has an awesome swim. 

But almost all of the other production or semi-custom metal lips I’ve gotten in the typical $25 to $30 range seem to have a dead spot in the swim at really slow speeds. 

You know what I mean. It’s like the wood wants to fight against itself and straighten out instead of having that beautiful dying wobble or natural wiggle to it when you slow it down. 

And I have never really figured out a good way to tune those plugs to get rid of that dead spot in the swim. 

(*member previously known as 'SoCalStripers')

4 mins ago, z-man said:

I don’t understand the expensive plug hype. I catch most of my fish on a 50 cent soft plastic and hook/jig head. Why spend so much on a fancy painted piece of wood? I know some are saying they are buying a piece of art but who displays a fishing lure as art in their home? That’s weird. 

Hey to each his own, but expensive sh*t doesn’t catch fish. Skill, knowledge, and intuition does, bottom line. 

Edited by Seadogg

Sorry, I just don't see the price point for these lures.  Plain paint job, no belly grommet, plug not sealed, swivel hook hangers.  This lure is so easy to make it's not funny.  Some of the higher quality paint jobs on other SEALED lures made sense at higher dollar values.  I am not sure what makes these any better than a Gibbs, frankly.  At least when Lefties, Skippies and the like were commanding high dollar values you could see the workmanship.

DaveC <0))))))))))))><

6 mins ago, DaveC said:

I just searched the completed listings and they are all dannies which are the EASIEST swimmer to make.  Can someone tell me why a white danny with no eyes is worth 110 dollars?  I'll wait....

I think post #3 answered this.