D1fishr

Canoe treatment

13 posts in this topic

I have an Old Town Stillwater canoe, and I could use some help. What are you guys using to preserve and protect your canoes and kayaks?

Thanks.

I think covering while in storage is most important. I keep mine off the ground upside down under a tarp. There are marine uv protection spray-on products...

15 mins ago, triumph said:

I think covering while in storage is most important. I keep mine off the ground upside down under a tarp. There are marine uv protection spray-on products...

I have mine up on blocks and horizontal posts. I’ll have to check out some sprays. 

1 min ago, Stripernut1 said:

I wear out the ends of my Old Town... On my second round of Kevlar Pads and West System G-Flex...

I have the original Old Town protective product on this one. I remember it being a two part mix with these long felt like pads. Never heard of GFlex. 

1 min ago, Stripernut1 said:

Very tough epoxy that can handle some flex... Not cheap... I have an Old Town Camper made out of Royalex.

Nice! Old Town Stillwater here!  

I have an old Grumman aluminum that has dealt with rocks on the Pemigewasset River  and Sumners Falls on the Conn. River. that my dad bought new in the 70's. The thing is like a tank. Just store off the ground upside down.

On 9/12/2021 at 1:54 PM, D1fishr said:

Nice! Old Town Stillwater here!  

I also have a Stillwater. The thing moves like a tank in the water, but I mostly use an electric trolling motor, so the wide beam stability is nice in this case. I also owned a Discovery 133 for a while, but at 90 lbs dry, it started getting to be a drag handling it. Even though the Stillwater is only 50 lbs, I keep it loaded with a bunch of stuff on a canoe trailer and just tarp it to keep rainwater out. 

I use 303 Protectant on the hull which keeps a nice finish and wards off the oxidation.

Thanks guys. I’ve always garaged it, but I left it outside since May. I bought a snowblower which now eats up that space. It’s on blocks and posts now, but I’m thinking of building a little rack for a fall project. 

On 9/12/2021 at 1:35 PM, Stripernut1 said:

I wear out the ends of my Old Town... On my second round of Kevlar Pads and West System G-Flex...

FYI kevlar is terrible for impact/abrasion resistance.  Go with regular cheap e-glass

5 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

I build a high rack that I just step under, put the yoke on my shoulders, take a few steps sideways and slide it on the roof of my vehicle.

Ingenious!

FYI kevlar is terrible for impact/abrasion resistance.  Go with regular cheap e-glass

That may be true but it was the sun that killed it in the end, after about ten years flipped over and uncovered... No problem from the many rock and strikes...