JimK

Why do you take pics of fish to post on the internet?

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Goldy said:

Is it a problem that i have more pictures of fishing plugs than fish?  Im trying to decide if its a plug problem or me actually catching fish problem.  

There's probably way more pics of plugs than fish on my phone too.

On 9/14/2021 at 10:50 AM, Cheeckakoe said:

Thank You My days Fishing was Great met and fished with many New and Old Freinds some long gone but in memory Now. I to was a Sharer even a Teacher to some. Loved the Bayshore Monmouth County for the Easiest access and  Great Seasonal Fishing. The Ocean Front was Rarely visited  But for Ocean Grove North to Seabright. When my One Grandson took to it my interest exploded to share it all with him Have to dig up some photos but these will suffice for now He was very dedicated and spent hours Casting Catching was a Reward, I would feel bad when he did not catch a fish & Beleive it or not it was he who told me, Grandpa, we can Not catch fish all the time he was 7 at the time. at about 11 he discovered the Surf Board Fishing was 2nd but when no waves it was Fishing.  

I think Fishing taught him a lot in Lifes lessons of the Good - Bad - Trust & Ugly in People He never found the need to Compete like in Surfing Fishing meant Good Times. 

Had to add one more photo that shows how dedicated and interest in Fishing he is Was ___ Union Beach Spring Stripers Rainy Nasty Cold but he Hung in There even after being Skunked for the day.

IMG_0004 (3).JPG

IMG_0003 (3).JPG

IMG_0781.jpeg

union beach.jpg

If you love fishing, the outdoors, and nature I believe it is a legacy that should be passed on. it is an American tradition and we are lucky to have so many public waters in this country. If you go to other countries you often have to pay to fish private waters.

It has enriched my life immensely.

Honestly its sort of funny in a dark way. A lot of people you can tell are so excited they caught anything. They probably know this wont happen again anytime soon so they need to document the occasion. Then you got the social media types who are doing it for likes and worthless internet high-fives. Pretty sad.

On 9/12/2021 at 0:01 PM, JimK said:

So why do you post pics of your fish?  Why do you choose to put additional stress on a resource we all value so greatly?...........

2 main reasons:

- To let my friends know that I am fishing and they are not.  Why bother to have friends if you're not going to piss them off just for the fun of it?

- The reverse spot burn.  Catch a fish in Spot A.  Go to Spot B, which is almost impossible to fish, like 2' of water, a very high traffic area (narrow channel), or a sandbar.  Turn on the location/EXIF date on your phone, so the GPS coordinates are attached to any pics you now take.  Take a pic of you holding the fish there, but refuse to say where you were, so as to not spotburn, cause you're respectful and all that.  Post a report/caption explaining how you had to be there only for the last hour of high tide (still impossible to fish), or "right in the channel," or "anchored 10 feet from the bar," and then post that pic so that the smart asses of the world can download the pic, steal your spot from the EXIF location, and then laugh at them when they waste their day, or even better, run aground, trying to get into an impossible spot.  That's what they got for being spot stealing shmucks.

If one is that concerned about taking a picture of a fish because it stresses it then one should not slam a hook into a fishes mouth and drag it against its will to a beach or boat. I would think that is both much more painful and stressful for the fish

Not everyone that catches posts pics on the internet...i take my pics so i can remember day i caught and spot i was at so i narrow down my choices for next season....the lurkers know too much anyway