JimK

Why do you take pics of fish to post on the internet?

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 0:01 PM, JimK said:

I have posted a picture occasionally..probably less than 10 over the last 20 years.. and none in the last 2 or 3 , maybe more.  And to be honest most of the fish were not really bragable.. so it made me examine my motives.. especially since I am potentially doing more damage to a fish that is already stressed beyond belief from what I just put it through.. Generally  I found my motivation is self promotion, bragging.. attention seeking.  So I decided to stop with the pics..although if I catch a truly big fish there will be a picture.. but endless pics of small fish are pointless to me.

So why do you post pics of your fish?  Why do you choose to put additional stress on a resource we all value so greatly? If you are keeping the fish for the table it's a moot point.. otherwise

... fire away.. I've got thicker skin than a cow nose ray ..

Isn’t catch and release self serving?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

@JimK jim, with all do respect you have been goin a bit scorched earth lately with pics. I think 95% of the guys on here are decent dudes (and ladies) who mean well and try n do the right thing. I can speak for myself. Yes i have an instagram and thats it. Its private, and i will post a fish pic from time to time. And i can assure u, im fast, very fast with releases. Why do i post them? Honestly fishing makes me happy. Its fun, hard work, relaxing, adreneline inducing, all at once. A catch is sort of the fruit of all that effort and i like to snap a photo to mark the moment. Is there a psychological level of "look at me" associated with it? ..sure, ill cop to that. We all seek praise from peers or people we share a hobby with. Doesnt make a person arrogant or a poor angler. I have a much bigger beef with people who are overtly arrogant, cocky, and seem to overly publish their catches. Worse than that, those that kill fish constantly. If you want to see or rather hear the worst that mankind has to offer, listen to channel 68 on a vessel and the guys on Sol suddenly seem like good people. Pictures and all. 

Edited by joefishnj21

11 hours ago, Fishit 2 said:

I've been wondering about this for years, posting a pic of a 20" Striper, on a Striper fishing site? Maybe if it's your kids first fish, for posterity i can understand...

How about my Grandsons First Surf Caught Fluke Released 

IMG_0479.JPG

16 mins ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Just curious where did you get That Photo? Thanks in Advance :howdy:

belford.jpg.f4776f8f76b59a9992aaf7a7502a3718.jpg

Google images..belford. u take that!??  Because i know a good photog must of taken it. Its a great photo. 

Edited by joefishnj21

17 mins ago, joefishnj21 said:

Google images..belford. u take that!?? 

Yes, have them in the 4 seasons not copyrighted once you put them on the internet it becomes public to anyone. Spent many hours there Fishing Crabbing with my Grandson Crab from years ago  OPPS :banghd: at least it is not another FISH Photo.

Crab.jpg

Edited by Cheeckakoe

Maybe the folks that are appalled at posting fish pictures probably don't have or want any fishing buddies.

I have fished with friends and their kids for 50 years and we have annual trips that are just as much about the camaraderie and friendship as fishing. We have a couple of friends that act as archivist and keep a record of our fishing trips, fish photos, other photos: and it helps the new younger members buy-in into our fishing fraternity and sport when they see our pics, hear our stories and we add their pics and stories.

When I fish by myself I am more focused on fishing: being stealthy, reading the water, picking my casting targets, angles of retrieve, speed, depth, and type of lure retrieve and rarely take pics. If you are not paying attention when you catch a big fish you will have a tough time duplicating what you did to catch it.

When I fish with others it is all about putting them on good fish, with effective techniques, and acknowledging their success and enjoying their comradery. Some of the folks on this site that have fished with me will tell you as much.

This Fall will not be typical. With health issues and job issues due to Covid and the economy, family issues and with one friend just starting new job, only a few will be with me this Fall, but they are all long time friends.

I have mixed feelings about my last trip, because I am getting old and I will be fishing by myself in a difficult to wade high gradient gorge with no easy way in or out. It maybe my last trip to the gorge by myself, but it is a great trophy spot and I have to go again after fishing it for 15 years because I know what lurks there. We have won and lost numerous trophy sized trout in that gorge and I will miss my buds who would normally fish it with me, their pics, sharing the time with them on the river and their camaraderie.

I know fish better and catch more fish when I fish by myself, but it is not the same as sharing it with a like minded individuals that are your friends. I would rather share the fish and the experience and the pics help preserve those memories. If you live long enough there may come a time when memories are all you have.

Edited by Jay Blair

3 hours ago, JimK said:

My feathers are not at all ruffled.  My concern is exactly as I have stated.  Already highly stressed fish are being subjected to further unnecessary stresses.  There has been much discussion on this website about the mortality rate of caught and released fish. Can you not agree that mortality due to c&r, even without extra time out of water for pics, (and not everyone handles the fish carefully or accomplishes the photo shoot quickly) can only make the situation worse?  And yes.. I agree, the gut hookings etc. you mention do far more harm than pics, but c&r mortality  is not trivial.  So to further exacerbate the situation is not trivial either. And while there are many other pressures on the fish... the decision to take endless pics of small fish is one of the few one has direct control over.  Look, I am not against pics of meaningful fish, but there really are people here who do take and post pics of almost every fish they catch. 

Thank you for your virtue signal. 

How else would some of them catch fish…ever wonder when you’re there catching, and 30 come out of the woodwork? IG heroes…people who have nothing better to do than beat their chests. It is nice to get a call here and there..but I go when I can. 
not everyone has a leisurely life to do as they please collecting