JimK

Why do you take pics of fish to post on the internet?

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

I like taking a picture of fish I catch so A. my wife somewhat understands why I go out at crazy times on occasion and spend a decent amount of money on highly unnecessary things and B. to show my “fishing friendly” friends via text in the hope that one of them will accompany me on a dark jetty one night so I can go a bit further than my chickenchit self would normally allow. 

If I Boga them, dehook, quick pic, and back in the water quickly and safely I honestly think it’s okay. I respect the resource. 

I don’t have any social media accounts.  

Made a rule in the last year that if it’s under 30 lbs, no picture.  Anything over that, I’ll take a shot if I want to, I do have some self serving motives, I’m pretty sure most people do.   

I did get a couple pics of 2 large fish this year. Honestly, if a buddy wasn't next to me there would be no pics from this year. As far as social media I've never had a profile on any platform.

Looking back i wish I would've taken more pics years ago same with weighing fish. Not that I do it now.

Anymore I do get a kick out of setting off the flash on my phone to screw with guys as I'm leaving an area. Especially if I'm moving to the other side of an inlet.

These days these are the pics I'm excited to takeIMG_6395.jpg.862802939dc8fc32b2171ebf6cf76610.jpg

3 hours ago, Toad in Nj said:

do you do liposuction 

If I did I would be posting  on a website called i fish for tuna on a 48 ft Viking. com

3 hours ago, jmlandru said:

If pictures of fish trigger you maybe a fishing web site may not be the place for you to hang out.

Good point... let me do some self examination and get back to u on that..

4 hours ago, Toad in Nj said:

do you do liposuction 

Oh wait.. I just found my old trout stomach pump..call my office to make an appointment asap.

I normally don't post my pictures on the internet but taking a picture of your catches for personal records is a good thing:

• creates a catch log
  • rulers don't lie or exaggerate (it's fun to track your pb's)
  • helps for species identification 
  • generally promotes better fish handling since you are prepared to keep it for few moments

Obviously, if you are just fishing the same locations for the same fish year in and year out there is no great motivation to take pictures of the same cookie cutter fish you have caught dozens of times before. But if you like adventure and trying for new fish it is an amazing resource to have.

Before Instagram I used to get an occasional picture, but that was never part of my motivation. Today I share tacos, flies, rigging, and seasonally appropriate hints at what I'm up to. You're not likely to see a fish. I won't be part of what the fishing community has become on these platforms. The desperate need for attention in these people has had a huge impact in my area. Years of people dragging 50 year old fish on the beach for a photo session has taken a toll. If someone wants to take a fish home to feed his family, you won't hear a peep out of me. But killing is a fish for a photograph is about as low as it gets. Now we have regulations in place to discourage amateur trophy hunters, but they can't be bothered to read them. Me and my friend Andy watched a teenage kid fight a small tarpon in the surf one day. It was probably a 60lb fish. He fought it for 20 minutes, let his girlfriend smack it around for a few minutes, and then I watched him shoulder tackle the fish right at the sand. He spent a solid 90 seconds posing with the fish, and then just rolled it into the water without any attempt to revive it. He left glowing with pride at what he'd just done. I run a shop, I make every effort not to see this kind of thing. The argument could be made that I put more effort into avoiding people than finding fish these days. But there it is, every day. Liked, shared, and tagged. I'll have nothing to do with it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thick skin huh…but your feathers are so easily ruffled by other people taking photos? Most of the quick photo and releases have nothing compared to the average weekend guy who gut hooks a fluke on spearing, reels it up to the tip of the rod, takes 4 tries to get out of his beach chair, can’t find his pliers, waddles around in the sand, and then ends up cutting the line 3 feet away from the hook.  
I think your issue is the fact people are taking photos and that bothers you because you think of yourself as some stoic man who doesn’t need that attention, so be honest it’s not really about the fish. But in the end you go on the internet and complain about something so trivial when you have 5,000 other pressures on the fish that have proven negative effects on the fishery. 

one other thing- before photographs became so easy, how many stripers ended up on bait shop scales just to show them off?

Edited by BobBass

I've been wondering about this for years, posting a pic of a 20" Striper, on a Striper fishing site? Maybe if it's your kids first fish, for posterity i can understand...

12 hours ago, BobBass said:

Thick skin huh…but your feathers are so easily ruffled by other people taking photos? Most of the quick photo and releases have nothing compared to the average weekend guy who gut hooks a fluke on spearing, reels it up to the tip of the rod, takes 4 tries to get out of his beach chair, can’t find his pliers, waddles around in the sand, and then ends up cutting the line 3 feet away from the hook.  
I think your issue is the fact people are taking photos and that bothers you because you think of yourself as some stoic man who doesn’t need that attention, so be honest it’s not really about the fish. But in the end you go on the internet and complain about something so trivial when you have 5,000 other pressures on the fish that have proven negative effects on the fishery. 

one other thing- before photographs became so easy, how many stripers ended up on bait shop scales just to show them off?

My feathers are not at all ruffled.  My concern is exactly as I have stated.  Already highly stressed fish are being subjected to further unnecessary stresses.  There has been much discussion on this website about the mortality rate of caught and released fish. Can you not agree that mortality due to c&r, even without extra time out of water for pics, (and not everyone handles the fish carefully or accomplishes the photo shoot quickly) can only make the situation worse?  And yes.. I agree, the gut hookings etc. you mention do far more harm than pics, but c&r mortality  is not trivial.  So to further exacerbate the situation is not trivial either. And while there are many other pressures on the fish... the decision to take endless pics of small fish is one of the few one has direct control over.  Look, I am not against pics of meaningful fish, but there really are people here who do take and post pics of almost every fish they catch. 

Edited by JimK

Call me Guilty my Father took this photo with his Kodak 126 bellows camera 75 Years ago First time I went Saltwater fishing with my Father and Grandfather in a Row Boat out of Rumson Marina. on the Navesink And yes my Mother Fried it for me.  

Me Snapper Blue.jpg

Edited by Cheeckakoe