Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Inception

WE2 Flooding

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Went to my old stomping ground yesterday to try and see if there was any life post-hurricane and I was greeted with knee-deep water from the parking lot all the way to the beach. Seems like the entire section of WE2 flooded since I walked down the inlet and saw whatever has been accumulating in those marshes flowing out into the inlet giving the water a disgusting brownish-red color. I went this Wednesday for a quick trip after class 9/8 and there wasn't as much water then. Does anyone have a clue about what's going on? It wasn't the usual dirty color post-rain but there was some reddish tinge to it. The last time I've seen the water this color was by Field 10 when a pipe burst and all of that stuff was flowing into the bay. Certainly didn't help the mosquito situation there.

Edited by Inception

It's going to beyond f'n brutal with the skeeters.  And I don't think they've sprayed this year, or I missed the announcement.  They would do it if both the staff and any ball players at F2 would complain.  I wonder how the Coasties deal with it at the Boat Basin.  I've seen that in the past, we had 2 storms recently and a moon tide, so it's going to take some time to drain out.  The usual tip off was how bad the "lake" was directly ahead of what's now the Energy & Nature Center.  (between the lots at WE2).  Depending how big it is would determine which path I'd take.  Other places on the south shore also have some kick-ass flooding going on, an example is Bay Park, and now they too have the mega-skeeters and it is f'n intolerable there too.  There has been no spill that I know of, I'm guessing that tinge is decaying vegetative matter and runaway algae blooms.  Be careful with that stuff, some of it is toxic.  (use waders)

Good thing is it will push out the unprepared just as the beach season dies down.  :rav:

Between Larry and the moon tide water got way up.

Was walking back from a spot that I have done a thousand times before.

Sunk in quick sand to my knees.

Thank god I was with some else.

Be careful out there.

3 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Nobody fishes we2.  I'd suggest the north fork.

WAYEEEE, too early for the N. Fork. Don't even bother until October. 

I was there today. Crazy flooding, almost waist deep at some parts. No joke I saw a pair of snappers swimming in one of those puddles 200 yds from the parking lot. Got eaten alive by skeeters as well.

The things I do to catch cocktail blues and short fluke. 

4 hours ago, valleygoog said:

It's going to beyond f'n brutal with the skeeters.  And I don't think they've sprayed this year, or I missed the announcement.  They would do it if both the staff and any ball players at F2 would complain.  I wonder how the Coasties deal with it at the Boat Basin.  I've seen that in the past, we had 2 storms recently and a moon tide, so it's going to take some time to drain out.  The usual tip off was how bad the "lake" was directly ahead of what's now the Energy & Nature Center.  (between the lots at WE2).  Depending how big it is would determine which path I'd take.  Other places on the south shore also have some kick-ass flooding going on, an example is Bay Park, and now they too have the mega-skeeters and it is f'n intolerable there too.  There has been no spill that I know of, I'm guessing that tinge is decaying vegetative matter and runaway algae blooms.  Be careful with that stuff, some of it is toxic.  (use waders)

Good thing is it will push out the unprepared just as the beach season dies down.  :rav:

I passed some poor bastards heading towards the the giant tannins-stained puddles on my way back to the car. The were dragging coolers, chairs, and children. I tried to warm him but he didn't speak English. God bless him. I'm glad I had my waders on. 

I was there last week but I walked to the beach the  oppisite  side of the jettey. Took like 5 minutes and was completely free of flooded trails. 

As soon as you enter the lot the path is to the right. That way, it was bone dry. 

I worked at Jones Beach from '69 to '76.  Wednesday with another couple we decided to walk the boardwalk a bit before a dinner reservation in Bellmore.   We were shocked when we got to the West Bathhouse where the water was still sitting from just north of the main lifeguard stand to all the way to the seawall in front of the bathhouse (even with the boardwalk if it continued due west.)  I usually don't give up kayak and boat until surfcasting in October.  Hopefully there will be some fishable beaches still.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The surf in that area (throughout Jones, not just WE2) had been mostly muddy/dirty this summer. It was very few times that I went out there and found clear water. No idea why this was happening so consistently this year. I cannot not remember anything like it in decades.

Edited by Rough

Not touching that place until overnights get to around 50, mosquitos around there will suck the life out of you in these conditions.

Who am I kidding, I’ll probably be there tomorrow catching nothing losing blood by the liter.