The Riddler

Can we finally get rid of the term "Fall Run"?

Rate this topic

101 posts in this topic

Screenshot_20210911-232903_Chrome.jpg.4010b088899c20e94b206fb590e6567b.jpg

Screenshot_20210911-231904_Chrome.jpg.3b0a3995cc7dccacda4fbdd7283e804d.jpg

No doubt the train starts chugging out in early/mid August. Tons of bigs have already gone sayonara for 2021. Yes: rats are caught into Dec off the beach in RI... with occ. epic small bass feeds throughout the fall .....but good luck catching large late. An increasingly difficult accomplishment, imo. Cap tip to those who do. 

Most striped bass anglers lack thorough understanding of their complete migration people read articles written by anglers who fish Long Island and Jersey and assume it's all the same. The fall run in Massachusetts is literally the fish getting up and leaving. In new york it's literally the only time the fish are migrating by there is no biomass there in the summer that's a fall run.

29 mins ago, shark lobster said:

There still around tons of bait ! Fish are on the move but if you put in alot of time you can pick a few ! 

How many consecutive fishless nights constitutes a lot of time? 

8 mins ago, shark lobster said:

I fish every night mark just like you ! Not many nights that i get skunked but alot of smaller fish but at least once a week i hang a nice fish !

I have heard also from severel of my friends that still are able to fish the canal that they have experienced the same peace and Prayers

10 hours ago, liambrouillette said:

Most striped bass anglers lack thorough understanding of their complete migration people read articles written by anglers who fish Long Island and Jersey and assume it's all the same. The fall run in Massachusetts is literally the fish getting up and leaving. In new york it's literally the only time the fish are migrating by there is no biomass there in the summer that's a fall run.

That's not what many of us a familiar with from days gone by.

When the stocks were up, there was a large biomass of fish in Maine for the summer.

The Fall run in Ma started when all those Maine fish, including plenty bigs, would first move through in September. 

The reduced population of today is felt particularly hard in Maine. Their summer biomass is a fraction of what it was 30 years ago.

Now those Maine fish that are left (much more smalls) just slip on by with barely anyone noticing.