atlantictrader

Pods of dolphin

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Heard reports of dolphins throughout this past week. For about an hour this morning on a south county beach, there were pod after pod of dolphins scattered east and west and out as far as 200 yds, with many venturing close to shore within casting distance. They appeared to be feeding.

At least 1/2 dozen boats in one area were surrounded by them feeding. Certainly a sight to see in RI waters. And of all days for me to leave my dolphin lure at home.

I don't think I've ever seen that, and I've been shore fishing ri waters for decades. What's next? White perch? :p

9 mins ago, bdowning said:

I don't think I've ever seen that, and I've been shore fishing ri waters for decades. What's next? White perch? :p

Tarpon

About 5 years ago in early October, I saw them in gansett. Not terribly close to shore but close enough to get a good view. There was an enthusiastic bite on the outgoing later that afternoon

Posted (edited) · Report post

Were these the big bottlenose dolphins like you see in Florida or the harbor porpoises that are fairly common off our shores, if maybe a little further north?

I was in Maine a few weeks ago and we saw whales and porpoises from shore.

Also gannets feeding close to shore which I found unusual for summer, even up there.

There must have been some good bait out there.

Edited by mikez2

12 hours ago, Pescador710 said:

i think the Atlantic common dolphin is, well, the most common dolphin we see around here

475FAE8B-A307-40C8-8077-E2B1B6238543.jpeg

Yup, that be the dolphins we saw feeding for about an hour.

Posted (edited) · Report post

This was last Tuesday at Benton point. Im pretty sure they were mostly common dolphin but I swear I saw a porpoise or two mixed in. A couple weeks ago we saw a Minke whale just off the cliff walk. Lots of marine mammals this year.

just realizing that video didn’t work.

IMG_9408.MP4

Edited by BNickW