bob_G

These will probably never see water again.

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

There was a time when 90% of the fish caught at night in the canal were caught on these.  Many of my largest canal fish were caught on these. Fast forward to 2021, I doubt anyone even uses them.

IMG_20210911_105350.jpg

Edited by bob_G

I think most of the newer graphite rods really aren't compatible, but at my age with my old meat sticks with the trusty Penn Squidder reel my arms would be useless after a half dozen casts.  Fishing skins was exhausting.

1 hour ago, shuyak said:

I think most of the newer graphite rods really aren't compatible, but at my age with my old meat sticks with the trusty Penn Squidder reel my arms would be useless after a half dozen casts.  Fishing skins was exhausting.

You can say that again.  I have these from 1oz, and every 1/2oz increment all the way to 5oz.

As soon as I discovered Sluggos, I said good bye eel rigs.:wave:

O the pain.   To see that  but ru right. I have a collection of the same heads all sizes still nice and shiny I would go to Macao for pre skinned eels or save them from the night before    Ya great fishing lure but remember lots of kosher salt in Tupperware containers to keep them fresh.  O the pain for those who never fished a skin .. Inside out 

Rigging up was more work than than the fishing, not quite but keeping all in order was a task. I'd imagine some of the heavier Storms and Tsunami style swim shads would be effective, Sluggos did the skin rigs in.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bob you would be incorrect as I have several old timers that still to this day use skin rigs when they can get the skins. They are not the Dick Knowering style , but still very usable .   One of the misconception about skin rigs are that they only work at night . That is not true at all for I and others have found that day time use can be very rewarding . The trick was to change out the skins that were tied on and place then back in the salt brine head and all . That way they would pick up any odors . As long as you did not lose one, alternating the rigs made for a better hook up rate              Peace and Prayers

Edited by Angler #1

Melt the lead off and strip the wire.

Build a newer jig or buy one that can accommodate the hook

provided you deem them modern enough to work the Sluggo 

the way you want it to.    

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

Bob you would be incorrect as I have several old timers that still to this day use skin rigs when they can get the skins. They are not the Dick Knowering style , but still very usable .   One of the misconception about skin rigs are that they only work at night . That is not true at all for I and others have found that day time use can be very rewarding . The trick was to change out the skins that were tied on and place then back in the salt brine head and all . That way they would pick up any odors . As long as you did not lose one, alternating the rigs made for a better hook up rate              Peace and Prayers

Yup,  according to you I'm always incorrect. That's one of the reasons you and I no longer speak.  It got old. :read:

1 hour ago, giggyfish said:

Post them in the Bst or I can trade you smiling bill style, banana or spro style heads. 

Thanks, but no thanks. Nothing I have is for sale. :)

54 mins ago, bob_G said:

Yup,  according to you I'm always incorrect. That's one of the reasons you and I no longer speak.  It got old. :read:

Bob your way to sensitive . You posted what you posted as being used at night and perhaps I should have did a better job at indicating that they could also be used during the day time as well and not used the word incorrect . The reason you do not speak has nothing to do with a poor choice of words when in my attempts to post is what I have also found  by trial and error other informational help to those looking in here who might want to learn and try it themselves.      Peace and Prayers 

3 hours ago, stifftip said:

O the pain.   To see that  but ru right. I have a collection of the same heads all sizes still nice and shiny I would go to Macao for pre skinned eels or save them from the night before    Ya great fishing lure but remember lots of kosher salt in Tupperware containers to keep them fresh.  O the pain for those who never fished a skin .. Inside out 

Dave,

This was probably my largest eel skin fish.  Caught August 1976. Screaming full moon tide. 4oz rig, using a Penn Jigmaster, on my Harnell,  on dacron line. You know where. ;)

FB_IMG_1631392254845.jpg

3 hours ago, stifftip said:

Dave,you still goig in november to toss dannys, 

The day out with Steve and you started my dannys building to do butu remember that i sure,  lost ya numba thouh the years

4 hours ago, stifftip said:

If you waited until summer to buy your skins, you were getting leftovers. They were all picked over months earlier.

I was friendly with Mr. Hopwood from Macos, and he told me they get their skins from a guy in Canada, and they usually arrive early in March. He said to keep in touch, and he'd tell me when the new skins arrived.

I was living in Auburn back then, and began calling Macos late in Feb. Finally, around the second week of March, he told me they just arrived, the figure of 5000 seems to stick out in my mind.

My father thought I lost my marbles (he always thought that) when I jumped in my old Scout and made the almost 3 hour drive to Wareham to buy 100 skins. After that I was always the first customer of the season to buy them.