Snapper Popper

Jamaica Bay Kayak Fishing NOOB

7 posts in this topic

I am new to kayak fishing and I have gotten myself set up with gear and I am planning on doing some fishing in Jamaica Bay during the fall run.  I took this kayak out a few times this summer and fished the ocean but the water has been way too rough.  Aside from tide/water conditions I am looking for any info I may need to know especially good areas to launch that has parking in the Rockaway/Breezy/South Brooklyn areas.  Also any equipment I may not have thought of or other safety information).  I'll be using a 13 ft. ocean kayak with a 7 and 6-foot rod and no anchor or motor.  Currently outfitted with an emergency paddle, rope, first aid kit, safety strobe, PFD, and wetsuit set up.  Any information would be much appreciated, thanks!

Welcome. Your first point of call would probably be Floyd Bennett Field … a convenient spot which opens up lots of possibilities (Google Maps is your friend). CrossBay Kiteboarding Launch area is a great option but limited parking. A third option (even better) is to spend $100 pa and get a Gateway Beach Parking pass … definitely worth it if you get into the sport. The forth option = Google Maps is your friend … I have found a few little known official launch spots as well as ninja spots by using GM and driving to physically recce them - don’t be stoopid and do anything that threatens the access for everyone else! Start off using the free options and naturally progress to the next level if the bug bites you. Good luck :th:

12 hours ago, Africaster said:

Welcome. Your first point of call would probably be Floyd Bennett Field … a convenient spot which opens up lots of possibilities (Google Maps is your friend). CrossBay Kiteboarding Launch area is a great option but limited parking. A third option (even better) is to spend $100 pa and get a Gateway Beach Parking pass … definitely worth it if you get into the sport. The forth option = Google Maps is your friend … I have found a few little known official launch spots as well as ninja spots by using GM and driving to physically recce them - don’t be stoopid and do anything that threatens the access for everyone else! Start off using the free options and naturally progress to the next level if the bug bites you. Good luck :th:

Funny you should say that -  I got both the fishing permit (white) and the 4x4 permit (green) this year.  Unfortunatly the 4x4 pass got lost in a move, SMH.  I should be able to use that launch in Floyd bennet though, Didn't even think of it, thank you for the advice!

VHF would be a wise investment.   

Use a predictable marine forecast for wind and waves especially in that area.

Try to find someone to paddle with until you really get some hours in the sport.

Have fun S&P.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:22 AM, breezybass said:

The 4x4 fishing issued by Gateway park is Black and Yellow this year What pass are you talking about .

That's confusing - I went last spring to the appointment over by aviator with my truck and they gave me a hunter green sticker, and then I got the regular fishing pass which was white. (I lost the green one, and they will not replace it).  Maybe you can help me with some info - I am able to get the regular breezy sticker but I don't believe I can legally go down on the sand with it.  I know there's a 4x4 breezy specific sticker, but I asked my family that lives there and they can't figure out how to get that one (maybe commercial vehicles only).  Will the parks dept leave my car alone if I have the regular breezy sticker and fishing pass?

On 9/19/2021 at 8:17 AM, flylikabird said:

VHF would be a wise investment.   

Use a predictable marine forecast for wind and waves especially in that area.

Try to find someone to paddle with until you really get some hours in the sport.

Have fun S&P.

Thank you = good info