metaliczombi

Muskie vid from St.Clair

25 posts in this topic

Not sure what the excitement is over a catching a musky?  They don't put up much of a fight.  I caught one once during a smalllmouth bass trip on Lake St Clair.  It was like reeling in a boot.  No fight what so ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 27conch said:

Not sure what the excitement is over a catching a musky?  They don't put up much of a fight.  I caught one once during a smalllmouth bass trip on Lake St Clair.  It was like reeling in a boot.  No fight what so ever.

I find them to fight pretty hard and nothing beats a musky strike during a figure 8 at the boat. With Musky it's more about the hunt, patterns, lure selection, and tactics. Very difficult fish to get to bite. Can go many trips without seeing a fish so when you get that one bite its very rewarding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes it's the thrill of the hunt for a fish that doesn't eat all that often, and can literally bite your fingers off. I also saw one eat a duck one time and that was pretty cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, onthefly said:

Sometimes it's the thrill of the hunt for a fish that doesn't eat all that often, and can literally bite your fingers off. I also saw one eat a duck one time and that was pretty cool

^^^ between pickerel, pike and muskie, makes you wonder how many ducks, geese and swans survive those first few weeks?

People don't understand the ferocity of their strikes. I use a modified "figure 8" for pike and pickerel where I fish.

It's funny that pretty much every other fish that strikes and misses won't hang around your boat (kayak in my case), but these toothy monsters WILL and they can be enticed to strike again and again when they get riled up.

I tell friends and fellow anglers (those that haven't had the experience) that when you get a hit & miss from one of these toothy fish DON'T STOP WORKING YOUR LURE!

I explain in simple terms that the fish doesn't like to miss a meal, and will often stay where he missed his strike in the hopes of catching the prey off guard (thinking the coast is clear). By working you lure in the same area as the missed hit, you are often rewarded by a surprise strike that will come out of nowhere!

That's one reason I love fishing for them. As for fight, they will run in bursts, sometimes leaping out of the water.

They seem to do that more and more now, shaking their heads like bass do in an effort to dislodge the lure.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 27conch said:

Not sure what the excitement is over a catching a musky?  They don't put up much of a fight.  I caught one once during a smalllmouth bass trip on Lake St Clair.  It was like reeling in a boot.  No fight what so ever.

you've caught one   just saying 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FishermanTim said:

^^^ between pickerel, pike and muskie, makes you wonder how many ducks, geese and swans survive those first few weeks?

People don't understand the ferocity of their strikes. I use a modified "figure 8" for pike and pickerel where I fish.

It's funny that pretty much every other fish that strikes and misses won't hang around your boat (kayak in my case), but these toothy monsters WILL and they can be enticed to strike again and again when they get riled up.

I tell friends and fellow anglers (those that haven't had the experience) that when you get a hit & miss from one of these toothy fish DON'T STOP WORKING YOUR LURE!

I explain in simple terms that the fish doesn't like to miss a meal, and will often stay where he missed his strike in the hopes of catching the prey off guard (thinking the coast is clear). By working you lure in the same area as the missed hit, you are often rewarded by a surprise strike that will come out of nowhere!

That's one reason I love fishing for them. As for fight, they will run in bursts, sometimes leaping out of the water.

They seem to do that more and more now, shaking their heads like bass do in an effort to dislodge the lure.

 

 

I love that about pickerel.  I have had then chase a topwater halfway across the lake ripping at it.

 

Had one come straight up out of the water last week about a foot like a damn missile.  Never touched the lure lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did hook one, using small mouth bass tackle and a drop shot and worm.  I had it to the boat in an instant.  It saw the boat, made a slight run and broke the light line we were using.  Cool to see but I certainly would not target them, but that's just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 27conch said:

I did hook one, using small mouth bass tackle and a drop shot and worm.  I had it to the boat in an instant.  It saw the boat, made a slight run and broke the light line we were using.  Cool to see but I certainly would not target them, but that's just me.

Nice. My dad landed one,~34", on an ultra-light with 6lb test. Had the drag screaming for a bit before I caught up to it with the trolling motor.  Even jumped a few times. It was a fun time just watching and then netting it. Thankfully it swam out to the deep water where we could let it run until it tired out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 27conch said:

I did hook one, using small mouth bass tackle and a drop shot and worm.  I had it to the boat in an instant.  It saw the boat, made a slight run and broke the light line we were using.  Cool to see but I certainly would not target them, but that's just me.

 

So you didn't even land it? Lol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not.  Was like a few feet from the boat.  If the captain had the net ready we would have.  Like I said I thought I hooked a boot so we didn't even know what we had until it surfaced..It's all good.  I caught smallies to like 6lbs.

IMG_2880.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.