Odessa44

shimano Vanford vs VR50 for fishing the surf

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I don’t use the vanford on sandy beach if I can help it. Although if you can keep it high amd dry . I think of it more of a back reel or jetty. I’d rather take my BG. Although not sealed that well either . Light enough to hold and keep high amd dry. Do t have a vr. But that’s probabaly more of a beach reel. 

Two very different reels for two diff purposes.

Vanford = finesse, built to be light.

VR = rugged, build for sandy salty beaches.

Choose based upon how you will use the reel.

I would only consider the Vanford in salt for very specific uses, e.g. light tackle finesse fluking when I intend to stay high, dry and being very carful to keep reel dry and out of the sand. Full disclosure, I do not own a Vanford and opted for Stratic because they are a more solid, strong and rugged reel. One never knows what bycatch or fish of a lifetime one might bump into in the surf. Really sucks to be  under-gunned. 

Honestly, no matter how carful I am, I'm usually not very successful at keeping my reel dry and out of the sand while surf fishing. This is why my goto in the surf are VS.

Respectfully,

JD

Edited by jjdbike

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Honestly, no matter how carful I am, I'm usually not very successful at keeping my reel dry and out of the sand while surf fishing. This is why my goto in the surf are VS.

Same here! I just kinda happens...

I have a 3000 size Vanford that I've used for 3 months in the surf now fluke fishing. It's help up fine but I'm careful to keep it out of the sand and try to avoid spray if possible. I've also landed bluefish up to 10lbs with it. I don't think it would hold up to blues or stripers but it's just fine for fluke.

C5000 is a 4000 body with 5000 spool. Extra high gear 6.2 ratio. I think it has carbon washers at 5000 size. Not as heavy duty as you may think, but if you're going for small to medium fish and keep it out of surf and sand, mist spray with water after every outing it will be fine. If there is sand being blown around, cover it. 

Edited by Jig It
Edit

I have a 50 and do not worry about any of the unexpected spray and can lay it in the sand if I need to.  Used it exclusively for 4 years and only sent it in for routine maintenance this summer.  

I have a Vanford and a VS100. The Vanford is a great lightweight reel but I wouldnt use it in the surf as it doesnt seem robust enough and I think sand and water would be an issue. I tend to baby it a bit, unlike a VS.