Callmefish

Casting float and weightless slug-Os

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

You think this Idea has merit?

I’m also going to try this with some Jumbo paddle tail with a keel weighted hook.

yay or nay?

i already have some heavy wooden bobbers on the way, just wondering if anyone does this and everyones take on it.

2 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Anything could work behind casting egg, casting float or casting bubble.

Myself, I use a casting bubble a lot.

I got a 1 and 2 oz moreso for smaller paddle tails bit I’m gonna try that megasizednone too

8 hours ago, Callmefish said:

020CFD74-AC08-44D3-8BE6-06C7066FA3C7.jpeg

Whats this weigh?  

If u don't have a small scale, you should get one.  I use a Oxo digital kitchen one.   Takes alot of guess work out of my basement brainstorming. 

As for ur idea, I say try it. Ya never know. 

Wacky Worms weren’t Wacky Worms until some fella tried to rig a plastic worm like it was a nightcrawler. 

I still chuckle at catching Specs on McDonalds soda straws. 

Never know what looks like a dish! 

I’ve been using eggs to present different baits for some time.  Most of my success involves smaller baits and jig heads up to 3/4 Oz with soft plastics.  I’ve had limited success with large weightless offerings but am still experimenting.  I was looking for a way to present a weightless sluggo further off shore than I could cast it on its own.  The egg allows this until the bait being presented  gets to large.  Then the bulk of both offerings become less aerodynamic and don’t cast well, especially with wind.  Having a nail to hang the offerings helps immensely.  The egg shines for presenting items at the slowest speeds that wouldn’t be possible when casting  them on their own.  

10 mins ago, DZ said:

I’ve been using eggs to present different baits for some time.  Most of my success involves smaller baits and jig heads up to 3/4 Oz with soft plastics.  I’ve had limited success with large weightless offerings but am still experimenting.  I was looking for a way to present a weightless sluggo further off shore than I could cast it on its own.  The egg allows this until the bait being presented  gets to large.  Then the bulk of both offerings become less aerodynamic and don’t cast well, especially with wind.  Having a nail to hang the offerings helps immensely.  The egg shines for presenting items at the slowest speeds that wouldn’t be possible when casting  them on their own.  

I feel like you read my mind. I was going to convert one of my casting eggs to a sputnik casting egg, only with one spike though. I’ve trying to think of the best shape to make the spike to release off the float once it hits the water. I ultimately decided I had to wait until I throw it a few times to formulate a guess.

this spring/summer rainbait has been driving me crazy and is the reason behind my purchase of the egg floats.  For a while the only thing I could hook up with were 3” paddletails. I know the float will work with those easily. As soon as I bought them, my brain went straight to large soft plastics (shad, flukes, slug-o, magnum worms) wondering If I could chuck those out.

I’m also wondering what would happen if I just threw a teaser behind it, kinda like a wetfly

Everything will work.  Guys throw flies at false albacore using the eggs.  My most effective baits are a white bucktail and a 1/2 Oz jig head with a white Albiesnax soft plastic.  Years ago I fished eggs with small dead eels.  Great way to present the eels in boulder fields for bass. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, Callmefish said:

I’m also wondering what would happen if I just threw a teaser behind it, kinda like a wetfly

I've used the eggs with screw & nail spikes.  Both release even the lightest hook when they hit the water.   Heavy stuff usually comes off the spike in the air.  They don't helicopter, just travel together.  

I also use teasers alot.  My issue with these is a stiff breeze blows it off the nail when I'm tryin to cast.   But other than that, they work great!  

Last year I did really well with a small bucktail (1/4oz) and something to tip it with. Nice long leader.  Caught alot of different things. 

But there were some spots I couldn't get my jig down deep enough.  I made some eggs into slip bobbers. I just didnt thru wire it.   Same concept as the egg with the nail.  Just a bead and stopper on the line.  

Just haven't tried it in salt water yet.  I use it in freshwater alot and have great success.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

On 9/9/2021 at 6:17 PM, Callmefish said:

You think this Idea has merit?

I’m also going to try this with some Jumbo paddle tail with a keel weighted hook.

yay or nay?

i already have some heavy wooden bobbers on the way, just wondering if anyone does this and everyones take on it.

:th::th:sluggos:th::th:

Posted (edited) · Report post

definitely yes, large soft plastics get tough as they dont cast as far as small offerings, but the casting egg works great. use a longer leader length from the egg to the offering, i like to use around 4ft from egg to what I am presenting. nice and slow retrieve letting the water action do the work for you, every now and then a little twitch/pop to draw attention to the area.

works great when the fish are being picky and not going for plugs or other 'normal' offerings.

I always keep a 1oz or 2oz egg with me in my bag (size depending on what rod I have with me at the time)

Edited by Italianbuca

One more note.  When I first started using a float to present other lures some 40 years ago I would use 2 Oz Gibbs Pencil Poppers with hooks removed as the float.  Placed a finish nail towards the tail end.  Cast great but  line did foul on the nail on occasion.