New Revo 16....Rigging Questions...

After saving $$ for quite a while, I recently picked up a new Revo 16 (likely one of the very last 2020 models available), and I am looking to get it set up/laid out.
Rigging questions for Hobie Revolution owners, particularly re: SW trolling rodholder mounts/configurations:

What has worked well for folks in mounting a fore trolling rodholder?  (photo attached...it is used for salmon trolling out here in the Pacific NW).
FWIW, in my existing/previous boat (an older OK Trident 15), a Scotty 444 round base mounted just past the end of the foot well has served me well, but I am reluctant to put that big a hole in the deck of my new Revo.
I would look forward to hearing insights (and seeing pictures) of trolling rod arrangements -- AND rigging/deck layouts generally -- that are working well for Revo owners.

Also, which length/types of tracks (yak attack/other) are recommended?

Many thanks,
Chris

241712129_10226273156880330_6684275042774218868_n.jpg

Dozens of people spontaneously combust every year...it's just not really widely reported.

Hey C

When I used to troll SW for WSB here in N.E. using the Pube n' Worm setup or eels at night......

I'd have a Bazooka style rod holder tube on my right hip attached to the deck so I could steer with my left hand of course.   

I in the paddle kayak I'd always have it up front so I could lay the paddle across my thighs.

With the Hobie and the drive up front I found the deck mounting next to my hip workout great for me.    

Edited by flylikabird

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

RAM & Scotty both should have 'em.

Two to four tiny screw holes to lash them to your deck.   

Edited by flylikabird

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

1 hour ago, C.Salp said:

After saving $$ for quite a while, I recently picked up a new Revo 16 (likely one of the very last 2020 models available), and I am looking to get it set up/laid out.
Rigging questions for Hobie Revolution owners, particularly re: SW trolling rodholder mounts/configurations:

What has worked well for folks in mounting a fore trolling rodholder?  (photo attached...it is used for salmon trolling out here in the Pacific NW).
FWIW, in my existing/previous boat (an older OK Trident 15), a Scotty 444 round base mounted just past the end of the foot well has served me well, but I am reluctant to put that big a hole in the deck of my new Revo.
I would look forward to hearing insights (and seeing pictures) of trolling rod arrangements -- AND rigging/deck layouts generally -- that are working well for Revo owners.

Also, which length/types of tracks (yak attack/other) are recommended?

Many thanks,
Chris

241712129_10226273156880330_6684275042774218868_n.jpg

Here is what I do on my 13: 

My advice is the simpler the better.  I've rigged out more than a few Hobies.  I like to keep the rails as clean as possible.  This helps with keeping lines clear as well as helping with reentry if needed.  My FF is mounted in the mast hole.  I have one gear track on the rail.

Best thing I can tell you is to take it out a few times before you drill any holes!

Edited by Jeff270

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

I kept my tube right slightly behind my seat so I could slid in for entry and exit.

The tube could be directed in any direction on a ball mount.   

If the Salmon are hard hitting, keep your Scotty gear. Their rectangular and round flushmount bases requires a larger hole, but that’s why they don’t  slip, and it allows for low profile bases. 
  With the gearhead and extensions you have you can keep the cockpit clear, avoid the pedals and still have them in easy reach. 

Edited by cheech

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Keep it simple. Crate, sounder/gps/ battery and go. Hold the rod to troll. 

Trolling out of the rear rold holders with medium drag cab get kinda shaky when reaching around with the Revo series for me. If you don't want to hold the rod a forward mounted rod holder low to the water will work on hard hits. My opinion . 

Edited by The Riddler