pennfishing82

Penn 710 vs modern reels

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, redfin said:

Reliability is not everything. I would only fish the 710 if you really like fishing it. A modern reel like a battle 3 is a more enjoyable reel to fish, they handle line better, cast further, are faster and have better drags. Your pick. I hung up my 710’s years ago. Even as backup equipment I ditched them. It made as much sense to me as having a spear as a backup to my hunting rifle. After using a modern spinner they felt terrible to use.  They were lacking in all the areas I listed above. If anyone still likes the 710 I think that is great. It’s just not for everyone. 

Like a guy at a local tackle shop explained to me. There's no difference between a gun from the 1950s, and a new gun. And no difference between an old knife and a new knife. But when it comes to reels, modern reels have stronger smoother drags, faster ratios, better casting, 

I do enjoy fighting fish on a 710. My first albie was on a 710 everyone on the pier talking about im gonna blow it up but I got it to gaff on 12lb mono. Not really a suitable reel for the artificials I throw. I use stradics for most f that. 710s are bait soaking reels to me

Your getting ready to go down the rabbit hole,,,,,,:beatin: you can easy upgrade the greenie,,,,,,:headscratch: but if you want a new reel start looking at specs,,,,drag,,,,weight,,,,line capabilitie and just don't look at the price get what you want the first time,,,,,:eek: same with the rod,,,,,,,,,:D

23 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

But why keep something you don't really like???

Give it a better home.  It's not an Ex-spouse that will take half your stuff on departure. 

My first "big purchase" reel was the 704z when I was a kid.  Worked and saved my allowance to buy it.

Though I don't use it anymore, there's something nostalgic I find about the 704; I couldn't ever sell my last one...

22 hours ago, TheSuperApe said:

I do enjoy fighting fish on a 710. My first albie was on a 710 everyone on the pier talking about im gonna blow it up but I got it to gaff on 12lb mono. Not really a suitable reel for the artificials I throw. I use stradics for most f that. 710s are bait soaking reels to me

I have a number of Stradics now, and they're well-used.  Definitely not as durable as the 710s were.  And the drags need a lot more attention than the 710s drags did when the Teflon washers were installed (the other non-Teflon washers were awful, and grabby even in a brand-new reel).

57 mins ago, CWitek said:

I have a number of Stradics now, and they're well-used.  Definitely not as durable as the 710s were.  And the drags need a lot more attention than the 710s drags did when the Teflon washers were installed (the other non-Teflon washers were awful, and grabby even in a brand-new reel).

Could you please elaborate on "more attention"

27 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

Could you please elaborate on "more attention"

They tend to get grabby if not regularly maintained.

On 9/13/2021 at 4:15 PM, pennfishing82 said:

It only has a 3.6 ratio. And it has a plastic spool. Can't find any aluminum spools.

Gold spool from a 710Z

On 9/14/2021 at 9:35 AM, pennfishing82 said:

Like a guy at a local tackle shop explained to me. There's no difference between a gun from the 1950s, and a new gun. And no difference between an old knife and a new knife. But when it comes to reels, modern reels have stronger smoother drags, faster ratios, better casting, 

Not a comparison of old technology vs new technology but I can't help but notice the seemingly widespread internet "fact"  that a fast retrieve reel is superior to a slower retrieve reel. I couldn't disagree more, Is a faster car "superior" to a slower car or just faster? One thing has nothing to do with the other, they just serve two different purposes and in my opinion it is up to the end user to decide which is most beneficial to the circumstances in which the reel will be used. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages and only the user can know which is "best" for him. For me a slower retrieve reel wins most every time...

No contest!  Fish the 710 and treat it well.  Vintage reel that will get it done.  You will find smoother and faster reels but none will last as long or catch more fish. Time proven! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

you can up the retrieve ratio by installing 712 gears. I love my 710s this way.......

and, to eliminate the bail with the roller that never spins, a Mitchell 306 manual pickup.....

109769346_10222463732725179_4359301625498723594_n.jpg.6b161c5751b564c826dc76fe225ba989.jpg

Edited by cbchurch

1 hour ago, cbchurch said:

you can up the retrieve ratio by installing 712 gears. I love my 710s this way.......

and, to eliminate the bail with the roller that never spins, a Mitchell 306 manual pickup.....

109769346_10222463732725179_4359301625498723594_n.jpg.6b161c5751b564c826dc76fe225ba989.jpg

I like that reel!  The Mitchell pickup is just the roller or is it the entire piece?  Is the 712 gear swap very noticeable?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

I like that reel!  The Mitchell pickup is just the roller or is it the entire piece?  Is the 712 gear swap very noticeable?

It's the roller and the bracket. The 712 gears are not speedy, but faster. 23" to 28" with the new gears. VS is 30" for reference. Only thing I miss is the lack of infinite anti reverse. 

Edited by cbchurch

3.6 versus 4.1 to 1 is not noticeable by feel alone...by me anyway.

Perhaps if it was the only reel i had ever used, i might then notice a difference. 

Then again, better to have it slightly faster even if it's not noticeable.