pennfishing82

Penn 710 vs modern reels

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

40 mins ago, CWitek said:

And the fishing that you're doing requires a faster retrieve?  I usually find that bass like their lures moving fairly slow, particularly at night.  But if you're fishing for something that requires a faster retrieve, by all means go for it.

And has your spool fallen apart?  If it hasn't, is it possible that maybe you don't need aluminum?  I worked in a tackle shop back in the Penn 710's (and 704's, 712's, 714's, 716's, and 722's) glory days, and never remember many people coming in with spool problems.  Could happen, with overly stretchy line or line too heavy (with too much drag) for a reel of that size, but never struck me as a common problem.  My 710s never had a spool come apart, and they're 1970s vintage, too, with plenty of bass and hiugh-teens bluefish to their credit.  But it does happen occasionally.,

I always found the weak spot of the 710 to be the bail, which tends to get knocked out of shape a little too easily.

Sometimes there's days where only bluefish are around. Bluefish like a medium/fast to fast retrieve. 

No doubt that the old Penn's last forever. However, I just feel they are dated. Slow gear ratios, wobble on the retrieve, and a little heavy.  It's like old wooden golf clubs compared to new lighter ones. Or an old wooden surfboard compared to newer lighter ones. Look at it this way. All these senior citizens that you see driving around, how many of them are driving cars from the 1960s or 70s?? So even old people don't want old stuff. Lol. With that being said, I own a couple old rifles and old knives that I love. But with reels, I just feel that something lighter, with a faster gear ratio and smoother drag is more up to the task. 

On 9/9/2021 at 2:07 PM, pennfishing82 said:

So I was thinking about selling my like new Penn 710 greenie and getting a more modern spinning reel for a faster gear ratio. All these local tackle shops said that modern reels are much better. Smoother gears, faster gear ratios to pick up line quicker, stronger drags, and lighter in weight. Maybe something like a Penn pursuit, fierce, battle, or the new Daiwa BG or daiwa eliminator, or an okuma avenger, okuma Rockaway surf reel. I strictly surf fish. Do you think I should go for a modern reel or keep fishing the old school greenie forever??

Both.  Keep greenie and save for another reel as well.  

A buddy of mine fishes a penn 706z he loves it great for needles i.n the surf ! He gets really big fish on that reel to ! So are new reels always better mabe but if you like that reel why change

I have been fishing 706 and z for half my life.. bought my first one new for 79 dollars.. I still fish them and I  do catch big fish on them.. they are a work horse.. I have been fishing the same one on my lami gsb 132-2l for over 10 years now.. 65 lb braid 60-100 lb short shocker on tuna sized swivel.. only fish pencils 2.75-3 oz  a few polaris, random needles.. mainly pencils west coast.. lucky to be friends with our local plug building legends.. cause I fish biger weight for you know what..  

3 hours ago, pennfishing82 said:

Sometimes there's days where only bluefish are around. Bluefish like a medium/fast to fast retrieve. 

Yes, but I never noticed that I couldn’t crank a 710 fast enough for a blue.  Spool is probably 2” in diameter, which is a little over 6” in circumference, which at 3.8:1 means close to 2 feet of line every time that you turn the handle.  Really not all that slow.

Maybe slow for tuna or wahoo, but not for blues.  They were climbing all over my pencil poppers today when I was cranking just fast enough to keep the slack out of my line.

Again, if you feel the need, it’s your money to spend.  Just don’t let somebody convince you that you need something when what you have works just fine.  If you’re not catching bluefish when you know they’re around, and think speed is the problem, then you need to pull the trigger.  But if you are catching…

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, pennfishing82 said:

No doubt that the old Penn's last forever. However, I just feel they are dated. Slow gear ratios, wobble on the retrieve, and a little heavy.  It's like old wooden golf clubs compared to new lighter ones. Or an old wooden surfboard compared to newer lighter ones. Look at it this way. All these senior citizens that you see driving around, how many of them are driving cars from the 1960s or 70s?? So even old people don't want old stuff. Lol. With that being said, I own a couple old rifles and old knives that I love. But with reels, I just feel that something lighter, with a faster gear ratio and smoother drag is more up to the task. 

Then sell it.  Buy what you want, don't look back.  

It's ok to change your mind on stuff. It's also ok to disagree with the common consensus. 

I'm on the opposite side of you. I like the slow retrieve. It's more fitting to the way I fish.  I bought 2 BGs last summer, 4000 & 5000, I find them too fast.  It's more work for me to slow them down then a burst of speed with the Z when needed.   

Edited by PSegnatelli

10 hours ago, ghostfish slayer said:

I have been fishing 706 and z for half my life.. bought my first one new for 79 dollars.. I still fish them and I  do catch big fish on them.. they are a work horse.. I have been fishing the same one on my lami gsb 132-2l for over 10 years now.. 65 lb braid 60-100 lb short shocker on tuna sized swivel.. only fish pencils 2.75-3 oz  a few polaris, random needles.. mainly pencils west coast.. lucky to be friends with our local plug building legends.. cause I fish biger weight for you know what..  

All I fish is bucktails and diamond jigs

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

Then sell it.  Buy what you want, don't look back.  

It's ok to change your mind on stuff. It's also ok to disagree with the common consensus. 

I'm on the opposite side of you. I like the slow retrieve. It's more fitting to the way I fish.  I bought 2 BGs last summer, 4000 & 5000, I find them too fast.  It's more work for me to slow them down then a burst of speed with the Z when needed.   

Bucktails and diamond jigs are the only lures I fish in saltwater. So sometimes a faster retrieve is needed.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Penn 7 series has a retrieve rate comparable to a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.

Keep the 7 AND buy a modern reel.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

34 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

The Penn 7 series has a retrieve rate comparable to a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.

Keep the 7 AND buy a modern reel.

But why keep something you don't really like???

Give it a better home.  It's not an Ex-spouse that will take half your stuff on departure. 

Reliability is not everything. I would only fish the 710 if you really like fishing it. A modern reel like a battle 3 is a more enjoyable reel to fish, they handle line better, cast further, are faster and have better drags. Your pick. I hung up my 710’s years ago. Even as backup equipment I ditched them. It made as much sense to me as having a spear as a backup to my hunting rifle. After using a modern spinner they felt terrible to use.  They were lacking in all the areas I listed above. If anyone still likes the 710 I think that is great. It’s just not for everyone.